Auto Tanner Purchase/Question

Submitted by Rookie on 01/14/2003. ( ) 143.43.199.141

I am looking to buy an Auto Tanner, but before I do I would like to know more about it and how it works. I have searched the archive and looked at websites, but they have failed to answer some questions. First, it is advertised that the tank is porcelain coated; I am new to taxidermy, is the coating important so that chemicals don't react with the steel? Also, it looks to me that there should be something to adjitate the hide in the tanner; I did see something in the archives about pegs, can someone explain this to me better don't these pegs puncture the hide? thanks for the help

Return to Tanning Category Menu

The tank rotates.

This response submitted by John C on 01/14/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.34

there are two pegs in the tank to help tumble the skin. Without the pegs the skins would just sit in one spot.

By doing the pegs, you dont need to agitate the solution.

The porcelain

This response submitted by Kristoph on 01/15/2003. ( [[[[]]]]] ) 205.188.209.6

Is much more durable and holds up better than the original 2 part epoxy coating used on the original tanks Steve offered. The older tanks had a tendency to chip if the lid fell in.
Advisable to back off the two side nuts, let air out of tank so the lid drops and is caught by remaining loose nuts, hold the tanks lid and remove the nuts and lid with out it dropping into the tank.
As John said, the two offset square pegs provide all the agitation needed, as baffles in a tumbler do.
As far as the chemicals reacting to the steel, I'm certain Steve did every bit of research possible prior to opting to go with the porcelain, as he did with the epoxy finish, no reaction whatso ever. How ever, with the older tanks, if you did get a chip it was imperative to sand it and feather it out and recoat it with a good two part epoxie as the salt content in some of the mixes cause the rust to spread rather quickly. Steve eliminated this problem by going with the porcelain

Return to Tanning Category Menu