question about liqua tan

Submitted by Bobbi on 01/31/2003. ( bmeyer@iland.net ) 216.74.205.237

I've been tanning some flat hides lately using liqua tan and liqua soft. I really like the way that they turn out. The hides seem more like leather after treating them this way. Can I use the same process for capes? Ie. pickle,tan,liqua soft, let dry, tumble then mount them after they are dry without having to rehydrate them?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Liqua Tan

This response submitted by Rick on 01/31/2003. ( ) 12.159.204.23

I also tried this,using liqua tan and liqua soft and let dry, but found that the cape was much harder to work with being dry, so I soaked it in 4 galons of water and 1lb salt for 30 mins then drained the cape and put in a trash bag in bottom of fridge for 12hrs and then mounted, the cape was much more pliable and easier to work with.

Bobbi

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 01/31/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.138.38.197

That's not a recommended method. You will find that the face would be a bit harder to work with along with other problems. It's best to rehydrate and go from there.

Ok...thanks

This response submitted by Bobbi on 01/31/2003. ( bmeyer@iland.net ) 168.166.10.9

I normally pickle, tan and then let the hide sit out overnight then mount the next day. That method works pretty good, so I'll just stick with it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu