Epidermis and hair coming loose after re-hydration

Submitted by Salzip on 01/20/2003. ( Salzip@aol.com ) 63.184.193.109

I recently started using a liquid tanning method. (From dry preservative) I try to follow the directions on the bottle as close as possible with the equipment I have. Basically, the skin is Fleshed entirely, salted and allowed to dry, re-hydrated using 4 gals of water, dish soap, and about a half cup of "Preserve-it." The hide is rinsed, wrapped in towels (Skin side out) and refrigerated for 24 hours. I then apply the liquid tanning agent and turn the skin so the hair is out. I wrap this in towels and set for at least 24 hours. I have found that the hair and especially the lip skin will begin to separate after about 48 hours. The problem seems to be worse with bear skins. Am I doing something wrong here or do the tanned hides need to be frozen (not refrigerated) shortly after the tanning agent has had a chance to work if the hide will not be mounted right away? Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Yea, all that trouble why not tan it?

This response submitted by John C on 01/20/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.93

Soounds like more work than tanning, why not tan it and skip the crappy method of tryomg to preserve it.

salzip

This response submitted by enough bullet 4 on 01/21/2003. ( ) 216.127.25.137

sounds like tou did everything but you didn't mention pickling the hide.

Follow Liquid Tanning method.

This response submitted by Paul on 01/21/2003. ( Paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 68.85.39.7

Salt. dry, rehydrate in with salt or ultra soft, pickle, shave, wash or degreaser, back in pickle, neutralize, tan, let tan penetrate for 6 hours or overnight, mount or freeze. Done, no towel wraps or preserving steps. Keep it simple, less problems will develope...Paul

Return to Tanning Category Menu