Coat loosing fur

Submitted by Don Elgan on 01/22/2003. ( drelgan@hotmail.com ) 206.162.222.14

This seemed like a good place to ask this. I have a lady who has a factory made coat. Her cat found it laying on couch and decided to play with the fur collar. It ripped it in a place or two(small) and she sewed it back up. Now she has fur falling out and asked what she should do. I'm not into tanning or taxidermy but told her about this site and that I would ask for her. Any ideas? Thanks for any help in advance.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

The fur is easily replaced!

This response submitted by cyclone on 01/22/2003. ( ) 129.43.43.200

Skin it off of the cat (I hear there is more that one way to do it) and put it back on the coat!

tssssss

This response submitted by cats are cool. on 01/24/2003. ( ) 207.88.126.6

Solution: declaw or use soft-paws, or train the cat not to play with the furs. I had 2 cats and about 2000 coats and pelts and NO DAMAGE to either cats or coats/pelts! Comes with having well trained animals and using common sense. Don't leave valueables near the cats unless you know that the cats are "safe" with these items.

Generally speaking, a cat playing with a fur won't "kill" it. Even a rough-house. Where did these rips occur? shoulder area? mid back? elbow? cuffs? collar? seat? other?

Anyway, hang the fur in the closet, call your furrier, and take it in for professional repair. Home sewn fur coats are often a nightmare. The furrier may have to patch-graft the area. You're looking at roughly a "vet bill" cost to repair the fur 'cause of kitty's and human's slip-ups.

If you don't want to do that or don't have the ca$h, sell the fur and get a new one. This is very easily said and done, you've heard of eBay.

and skinning cats is quite an adventure.

Return to Tanning Category Menu