rough fleshing? temperature? how far do you go?

Submitted by sandals on 01/22/2003. ( sandals@dandy.net ) 66.28.137.110

I started my first doe the other night and ran into a lot of problems. First thing is fleshing. I bought the Jim Hall fleshing tool...No good for deer.Anyway, I understand you get the meat and fat off. What is that layer underneath that looks like fat, but WILL NOT come off? Can I leave that on until the shaving of the skin?
Trust me I want a fleshing machine, but my husband says I have to wait until I accomplish it by hand. What about the long fleshing knives? Are they better to use? Is a deer cape better to flesh cold or room temperature?
I guess that is all I really wanted to know. If anyone knows any good videos that show skinning, fleshing, and splitting lips & eyes, please let me know. There are some things that books leave unexplained in depth.
By the way. I terminated the doe project. I punctured too many holes throughout trying to get that layer of whatever off. Oh and another thing. On the inside of the mouth, deer have those tiny teeth looking things. Do you totally remove them or are you splitting them as well?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

MacKenzie

This response submitted by mike dunbar on 01/22/2003. ( ) 207.230.218.105

and WASCO have videos, I haven't seen WASCO's, but I have the 3 on whitetails from MacKenzie, show fleshing well. I would use a beam and a fleshing knife to flesh by scraping the meat and fat off the hide, and then salt the snot out of it. I salt the hide, resalt with fresh salt 24 hrs. later, and let sit for 2-3 more days until the hide starts to get white and dry. I then shake off the salt and hang it to dry. The little "teeth" are papilae and you leave them on, but split the skin underneath. Kind of hard to explain without showing you, get the videos.

Use the search button over on the left, there's more written on this subject than you care to read.

Interesting questionÖ

This response submitted by scott on 01/23/2003. ( ) 159.53.238.242

As far as the temperature, I"ll bet you get as many answers as there are taxidermist willing to answer. Personally I say, the colder the better. A dull draw knife on a cold hide just peals the meat and fat right off.
Oh and bear;
I like those to be nearly frozen. and then do them outside in the cold so that fat stays solidified.

I wonder if I"m alone on this?

You're not alone

This response submitted by mike dunbar on 01/23/2003. ( ) 64.91.85.30

I agree

Return to Tanning Category Menu