formis acid / sulphuric acid

Submitted by mark on 01/24/2003. ( outbacktaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 210.50.30.20

can anyone tell me wether you can use sulphuric acid in a pickle? could you use it instead of formic acid?i am having trouble finding formic acid here in australia. thankyou your help would very appreciated greatly.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Formic acid

This response submitted by Craig on 01/24/2003. ( moderntaxidermy@bigpond.com.au ) 144.138.69.141

Sulphuric acid was used in pickles at one stage but i wouldnt recomend it, nasty stuff.David Luxford supplies formic acid give him a bell.

All acid is "nasty stuff"

This response submitted by George on 01/24/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.197

In the years before McDonalds and 8-Track tapes, sulfuric acid was the staple used in all tanning. Just remember, pour the acid IN THE WATER, not the water in the acid.

You can use it................but!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 01/24/2003. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.121.139.64

Yes - it can be used in a pickle. Leather Tanneries use it - but they also tan with Chrome which eliminates any residual Sulphate being left the skin later. It's okay to use it when Chrome tanning but for other tans you are simply loading them up with sulphate that later draws moisture and turns back into Sulphuric Acid - which weakens the skin with age.

I also prefer Formic over Sulphuric simply because the Formic pickled skins have more plump to them for easier shaving. Sulphuric pickled skins do not.

Return to Tanning Category Menu