How do I.........

Submitted by James Herrin on 01/27/2003. ( redneckreverand15@yahoo.com ) 12.207.17.54

I am 15 just satrting taxdermy and I was told that before attepting to tan n e of my pelts that r in my freezer I shoud practice on like rats and mice and stuff. Ok, heres the deal. I like the brain tanning method better as I have seen my dad do it and it makes the pelts softer. After I buy the rat at the pet store I thaught that i could just shoot it in the head but that would damage the brain. then i thaught I could slit its throat but then u cut the pelt (also practicing for mounting) and then I thaught I could just inject it w/ something but everything I thaught of I thaught it would take too long and they would sffer, andI dont wanna do that. Does n e body no what I can LEGALLY buy that I can inject into them that is almost immeadiate and wont cost too much and wont make them suffer.

Thanx.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Easiest way...

This response submitted by Amy Ritchie on 01/27/2003. ( Amy@AmysTaxidermy.com ) 24.136.154.164

Hi James,

Easiest way to kill them is to just break their necks. Grasp the neck with one hand, and with the other hand, sharply pull the tail. Although this may seem scary at first, it is very quick, and alot better than any of the methods you mentioned. No need to try shooting them up with something when you can just pop their necks instantly.

I am 16 years old, and I mount alot of mice and rats. That's what I started on when I began taxidermy, too! If you'd like to visit my website, it's www.AmysTaxidermy.com. You can see some pics of my rodent mounts there.

Also, as far as tanning, I would reccomend Rittels EZ-Tan. Cheap, easy, and a very good tan! I have full EZ-Tan tanning instructions on my website.

Amy Ritchie

instant death

This response submitted by husband on 01/27/2003. ( ) 162.2.10.107

My wifes cooking should do the trick, they might suffer for a few
but they will be deader then a doornail.

or..

This response submitted by BudW on 01/27/2003. ( ) 209.34.13.174

You could get a picture of kiwi from his chat site and hold it up to the victim, that would do the trick. On second thought go with Amy's advice - kiwi's photo would mangle the specimen beyond use.

Listen to Amy

This response submitted by Brad on 01/27/2003. ( ) 66.112.16.26

I have seen Amy's web page and she has impressed me more thn any of the veteran taxidermist sites i have seen......she is GREAT

Return to Tanning Category Menu