What about Hydrochloric acid for pickle instead of sulphuric

Submitted by Steve on 01/29/2003. ( ) 216.221.81.99

I used sulphuric acid from a batteryt i had, ran out cannot buy anyplace around here, can find hydrochloric acid just wondering,and if possible at what ratio.

Return to Tanning Category Menu


Auto parts store has battery acid.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 01/29/2003. ( NOTGOINGTOTEL@Kids read this too ) 64.216.172.68

You like playing dangerous dont you?

Hydrochloric acid will burn skins very quickly.

Muratic, Hydrchloric and sulpheric are not toys, and should never be used.

For your brine, I guess you could pee in it too.

I recommend you use one of the acids from one of the suppliers.

Oxalic acid is powder and works very well and is very cheap from WASCO.


Must be my chemical fetish

This response submitted by Steve on 01/29/2003. ( ) 216.221.81.98

I called this tannery closest to me and try to get some info,got some but not a whole lot about tanning, i don't have a lot of money to be buying those other expensive tanning solutions, so far i have invested 12.00 dollars a that hurts, till i get off the ground anyway!


steve

This response submitted by enough bullet 4 on 01/29/2003. ( ) 216.127.25.186

there are much safer acids to use that are not that expensive.if $12 hurts that much,drop the hobby and find a better job!


HCl = hydrochloric and

This response submitted by cyclone on 01/29/2003. ( ) 129.43.43.200

is also known as Muratic acid....

it is a volatile acid..it will evaporate, must be used in well ventilated areas..I don't think that you want it floating around in your shop/home atmosphere..

Oh, and that battery acid that you used...If you were foolish enough to get it from a battery, you've exposed yourself and anyone who comes in contact with those mounts to lead..Lead sulphate, to be exact, one of the most poisonous forms of lead..At least those bugs won't bother your mounts for long.

Any acid that you use is potentially dangerous..Look up the MSDS's of any chemicals you use..request the MSDS's from the supplier..

You should consider using an acid form a tanning/taxidermy supplier. They are considerably safer..but still to be used with caution..


Vinegar

This response submitted by scott on 01/29/2003. ( ) 159.53.238.242

Go down to wally-world and buy the biggest jug of vinegar they have.
But, If you can"t get acid. I doubt you have any PH strips.
So anything you do is just kind of a guess.
(A little research of mixing ratios can at least make it an educated guess)

Don"t let that discourage you too much.
People tanned animal hides for thousands of years before PH strips and salimeter.
(I"m sure they also ruined tens of thousands of hides, and had nothing better to do with their time then sit around the fire and chew on them)

But, if you expect someone to pay you for itÍ
Well, that"s a whole different story


12 bucks?

This response submitted by HOSS on 01/29/2003. ( ) 192.249.47.11

The danger of playing with those acids is not worth the 12 bucks. You doctor bills or problems incurred from breathing in that crap is not worth saving a few dollars on the front end. It will cost you OHHHHH so much more long term. If the right stuff is too expensive now don't risk it and wait until you can afford it. There will always be hides to tan and time to tan them in the future. Getting impatient can seriously injure or even kill you.


For those who think negatively

This response submitted by Steve on 01/30/2003. ( ) 216.221.81.99

In the first place i have no room for people who like to put there negative thoughts on some else,if thats all you got then you really don't have anything,do you, today is my deer hide turn out excelllent, was a bit nervous at first when i took it out of the alum sulphate solution but after i broke it with my hands wow, just like a piece of commercial tanned leather so to you negative ones hahahahahaha noone got hurt or killed or burned the only thing that happened here was a nice piece of leather was born hahahaha.........


I come here for advice and to share experiences

This response submitted by Steve on 01/30/2003. ( ) 216.221.81.99

Just to let the good audience know i did read the msds on muriatic acid for how cheap it is i still won't be useing in my tanning, sulphuric tho is still my option, they have excellent results with in a tannery that i have recently contacted but they don't want to share that much info...


Steve whats up your rearend?

This response submitted by John C on 01/30/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.76

You come in this site and ask for advice.

We offer you firm sound and safe advice and your panties jumped your crack.

Since you know everything about tanning and pickling why did you ask for advice?

Is your ego so weak that you cannot accept the adivce you ask for? There was nothing negative about any of the above post.

YOu ask for it you got, hope you are smarter than your weak assed ego.


Muratic? Dangerous?

This response submitted by Wallace on 01/31/2003. ( ) 65.177.81.251

As somebody who used to work construction, Hydrochloric acid is bought by the gallon and then diluted to clean masonry. Although this acid will even eat into metals such as magnesium at its working strength, it remains fairly safe (diluted) as far as acids go. You could dip your hand into the DILUTED solution (which I did for several days of brick washing with a wire brush & other times) and there would be little signs of any danger/damage, though it would foam and eat away mortar (or your clothing). No acid at strength is a toy.

I stumbled onto this site tonight and couldn"t help answering on how evil and dangerous you folks were making this acid out to be. It"s just a tool that must be treated with caution and respect. It"s certainly safer than that one acid (can"t think of the name right now) that will poison you through skin contact, and I believe much safer than Sulfuric.

Anyway, nice site and interesting reading. It"s nice to see others with more knowledge helping other people learn about stuff--Wallace


Just in case

This response submitted by cyclone on 02/03/2003. ( ) 129.43.43.200

You decide to continue using old batteries..

Symptoms of Toxicity
The general symptoms of lead poisoning are universal although more informaton is available on poisoning in humans. The first symptoms of lead toxicity are very general and nonspecific. These include nausea, sluggishness, vomiting, painful gastrointestinal irritation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, colic, weakness and dehydration. These symptoms are common to many disorders and can often lead to inaccurate diagnosis.
Some symptoms more specific to human poisoning include discoloration of the lips and skin attributed mild secondary anemia, a lead line on the gums, developmental disorders, sterility and abortion. There have also been some prelimiunary reports indicating that chronic lead poisoning can also lead to chronic nephritis and premature development of arteriosclerosis.
More severe cases of poisoning can produce symptoms including convulsions,"wrist drop" or external limb paralysis, coma and ultimately death.


Return to Tanning Category Menu