Tannery PA. (BERKS) looking for.

Submitted by Mike H on 02/02/2003. ( ) 205.188.209.103

I just got into the taxidermy trade in the past year and had much luck with it.I have been only charging 180.00 for a shoulder mount just get my name out.Do you think thats a good idea?I have been tanning my own hydes to make same profit.Now i am ready to up my price and send to a tannery .Looking for one in or close to BERKS county PA.If anyone can help i would be greatful. THANK YOU!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Over pricing yourself.

This response submitted by John c on 02/02/2003. ( taxidermist118@hotmail.com ) 64.216.172.109

Just been mounting animals a year? Seems like to me you have a lot to learn.

Why charge them at all?

As for raising your price because of sending the hides off?
No way you can lower your price as this is going to free up your time and really will let you get more mounts out, less manhours you know!

He you other PA taxidermist watch out he is going to get all the work.

PA.Taxidermist dont say it, thats why I am fishing!

you didn't have luck........

This response submitted by anotherPAtaxidermist on 02/02/2003. ( ) 204.186.11.44

You didn'thave "much luck" with it, you just got alot of work because you were cheap. If you are charging under $200 for a mount you are making about $1.50 per hour for your labor. If you just wanna get the work that is a great price. If you are by chance any good at this trade, why are you working for $1.50 per hour. If you think that by giving these customers such a big price break, and will boost or double your price for these same people next year.....GOOD LUCK. They are gonna say "but the same mount cost me $150.00 less last year, what are you trying todo here, rip me off?" All you are doing is getting yourself more work, and if you are getting into the business because you have too much free time and you just want to work, then you are doing the right thing. If you are getting into the busines to make money, then you are way off base.

$180 a head!

This response submitted by typical BERKS COUNTIAN on 02/02/2003. ( n=NO RAISE -NO BENIFITS JUST MO HOURS BOSS ! ) 209.240.198.63

In this part of the country around READING ,PA with a crime rate at the top of the list! And a population getting to be 75% Spics no Bias to the black people!hahhah!It seems that the bargain hunters with all the money!will go CHEAP-CHEAP CHEAP!And if they got the product 20 years ago for $50 bucks the $180 bogus mount is still pretty much!typical attitude!amish type!DON'T NEED A RAISE -BOSS-MO HOURS YESSUM BOSS!WELFARE AND ACCESS CARDS ? CUT THE JUGULAR?

$410.00 here in Berks

This response submitted by me on 02/02/2003. ( ) 216.83.100.242

I am also a Berks county taxidermist and charge $410.00 for deer. I took in 115 deer this year, and I am still not done with my 2001 deer. I wonder how many I would get charging $180.00?

For a Tannery - Use Keystone!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/04/2003. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.121.137.23

Call Keystone Fur Dressing for your tanning. They are in Aspers PA between Gettysburg and Harrisburg. A great Tannery - excellent quality work and a good turn-around. Call: (717) 677-4553

Return to Tanning Category Menu