what causes hair slippage?

Submitted by sandals on 02/02/2003. ( sandals@dandy.net ) 66.28.137.110

I know this is answered elsewhere, but I could not find the same problem....okay so this is what I did.
I skinned a squirrel, fleshed it, turned the ears. etc..
I salted and re-salted the squirrel.
I rehydrated it for a few hours, then placed it in the EZ-100 (pH was fine through all this) for about 16 hours, took it out, shaved, and put it back in. When I went to take it out, i saw a chunk of hair. When I saw that I did not neutrilize because the hair on the belly and lower back basically "peeled" right off. I thought maybe I shaved too close, but after looking further, the tail hair did the same....but all the hair on the face was fine. Can anyone maybe hit me in the head and give me some reasons this would happen?
My son wants me to mount his squirrel and I rather not screw it up too bad. maybe I should just DP his.....Thanks for any advice.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Pickle?

This response submitted by Amy Ritchie on 02/02/2003. ( Amy@AmysTaxidermy.com ) 24.136.154.164

Where is your pickle? That is what is supposed to come after the rehydration step, not the tanning!

Pickling helps to tighten up the hair. I like to use Rittels Safetee acid. After rehydrating, you should pickle for a few days, shave, pickle some more, neutralize... THEN tan with EZ100! Try it this way and I doubt you'll have problems.. because you did the first few steps perfectly right!

Amy Ritchie
www.AmysTaxidermy.com

I did pickle..sorry I forgot to say that

This response submitted by sandals on 02/02/2003. ( ) 209.128.250.112

i pickled with the acid bath crystals after rehydration...i think then i shaved it and put it back into pickle for 3 hours, then took it out and made up the tanning solution with a pH of 4. Sorry that I forgot to mention that.

to much handling.

This response submitted by John c on 02/02/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.109

so it looks like you did everything right on tanning.

The heat from your hands can cause the slipping. Heat and bacteria, are the cause of hair slipping.

How was it handled before? Was it laid out for many hours to thaw? 2 hours should be enough.

use dp on small mammals

This response submitted by terrryr on 02/03/2003. ( ) 12.34.180.151

not worth the problems that can happen on small animals - use dp and you can skin and mount in the same day

How "old" was the squirrel.......

This response submitted by Leanna on 02/03/2003. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 207.195.212.52

BEFORE you skinned it etc.? I think your problem lies there. Especially when the belly is where it slipped.

The problem occured before you started!

This response submitted by Northamerican62 on 02/03/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.6

That speciman was laying around warm for to long either before you froze it or after you thawed it.Hair slippage near or around the hind legs is common under the above circumstances especially on small thin skinned animals!

okay, this is how I handled it

This response submitted by sandals on 02/03/2003. ( ) 209.158.66.2

I shot the squirrel, I froze it a few hours afterwards. I took it out and let it thaw about 12 hours. I handled it with gloves, but the weather i handled it in (20-30 deg.), plus wearing the gloves, I wouldn't expect it to slip. here in new jersey it has been freezing temps. my son shot a squirrel and it has been in the freezer a year. it has been thawing for a day (now in refrig until tonight). any ideas on getting this one half decent without making him half bald?
I let my squirrel that so long, because with our temps, it basically remained frozen even out of the freezer.

Always neutralize between pickling and tanning!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/04/2003. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.121.137.23

I didnt see where you neutralized the pickled squirrel skin before you placed it into the EZ-100 tanning solution.

If you need a copy of our step by step instructions for using EZ-100 -I'd be glad to e-mail it to you. E-Mail me at Rittel@mindspring.com

oh my god you were right!

This response submitted by sandals on 02/04/2003. ( ) 209.158.66.2

you were right. that is where i went wrong. i did not neutrilize in between pickling and tanning. why did i think that comes afterwards? oh well. i will remember that for next time.....duhhh...i guess i was having a blonde moment.

RTF say's

This response submitted by RTF on 02/04/2003. ( nysp_2003@hotmail.com ) 216.238.61.33

Word of advice, do not wet tan squirrels. This is very common in squirrels. They are thin skinned and if exposed to too much water will actually peel. I say you water logged the hide causing seperation between the membrane and hide itself. If you ever have sat in the tub for a period of time you are pruned when you come out. This happens to hides to and this loosens hair and plumps up the layer of skin that the hair folicles are attached too.No matter where the hide is in whether pickle tan etc.. a wet hide will slip easy.

Return to Tanning Category Menu