can't get the membrane off a green fox pelt

Submitted by Mike Albert on 02/03/2003. ( ar813@acorn.net ) 12.87.130.202

Please help... i've fleshed, and fleshed, but i can't get the membrane off. I've torn a few holes trying. i'm going to use a tanning liquor called; "Johnny Thorpe's Indian Tan" is it nessesary to get all that tough "seran wrap" off? Can i just score it with rough sand paper?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Wire wheel on a bench grinder.

This response submitted by John C on 02/03/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.84

You can salt the hide after removing the red meat and fat.

Never heard of Johnny Thorpe's Indian Tan.

Almost noone here has either.

Not knowing this Johnny Thorpe I recommend trash canning it and getting Some KROWTAN 2000 from Ozark Woods in Harrison Arkansas.

You will not need to salt the hide with Krowtann, just remove the crap from teh hide and sub,erge the hide for 3 to 4 days.

salt it first

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 02/03/2003. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 152.163.188.197

I salt my fox and coyote first, then the membrane seems to come off eaiser.

RTF say's

This response submitted by RTF on 02/04/2003. ( nysp_2003@hotmail.com ) 216.238.61.33

Also after 48 hours in the pickle, the skin will get a little tougher and it will also be easier to flesh. After you reflesh, return hide to pickle until it's ready for the tan.

Never Heard of Johnny Thorpe?! Where've you been?

This response submitted by James Riech on 12/08/2003. ( phypherthree@yahoo.com ) 209.150.249.21

Johnny Thorpe was inducted into the National Trappers Hall of Fame in the early 90's for a lifetime of remarkable trapping achievements. He is well known to many trappers throughout the country. Hard to imagine you don't know who he is! I recommend checking out one or two of his books. Two that can be easily found online when you type in the titles are:

50 Years A Trapper & Treasurer Hunter

In this book Johnny covers many of his trapline experiences and introduces the reader to many old timers and hard core professional trappers that he has known over the years. He takes you from the farmland of the Catskills up through the Adirondack wilderness and into the deep snows of Canada, across the Colorado Rockies, into the deserts of Arizona and California in quest of fur. Also included are his accounts of true tales of buried treasure and recoveries. A book of tales you won't be able to stop
reading. Many pictures with some dating back as far as 1884.

Thorpe's Suicide Mink Methods

Thought by many to be one of the best mink trappers ever. Describes sets with illustrations.

Return to Tanning Category Menu