PH

Submitted by Erik on 02/04/2003. ( golfin24_7@hotmail.com ) 209.103.205.101

I see PH on a lot of these messages and I dont know what it is. Could someone tell me please? Thank you

Return to Tanning Category Menu

P.H.

This response submitted by Alex on 02/04/2003. ( advancetaxidermy@yahoo.com.au ) 205.188.209.48

the potential of hydrogen. can be measure by a paper strip or a professinal p.h.meter:

PH is the scale of which alkaline and acid are measured

This response submitted by John C on 02/04/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.90

1.0 bing acid or acidic.

We as taxidermist or tanners have to soak our animal skins in a acidic soultion usually around 2.0 to 3.5.
This is called a pickle, it plumps the hide for shaving, preps the hide to accept the tan.

We neutralize a skin with sodium bicarb, baking soda, to reach around a 4.0 ph, this allows most tannins to chemically attach to the cell structure of a skin.

Low pH also stops the growth of bacteria's.

Hides can be stored for a good while in the acid pickle.

7.0 being approximent neutral.

This is where most tap water is, animal skins are.

Even your body chemistry should be close to neutral.

Animal skin will slip thier hair at 6.0 ph or higher

Fish bite better when the water is in this range.

10.0 being alkaline.

Rolaids, Tums all ant-acids are of course alkaline. The reason they work on heart burn (stomach acid).

Limestone is alkaline, which is a form of calcium carbonate.

When you make buckskin you use lime, normally hydrated lime is used.
You must be careful to not alkaline burn the hides.

Hope this gives you a clearer understanding of pH.

Scale measuring....

This response submitted by Kenneth on 02/04/2003. ( ) 64.58.38.8

the percentage of Hydrogen (H+) ions or Hydroxide (-OH) ion given of in solution. The more H+, the more acidic a solution. The more (-OH) the more alkaline or basic a solution.

Kenneth, thats great for sceince class

This response submitted by John C on 02/04/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.90

I just put it in simple terms, so the kids can understand it too.

WOW!

This response submitted by Erik on 02/04/2003. ( golfin24_7@hotmail.com ) 209.103.205.139

Thank you everyone for a fast and helpful answer! I greatly appreciate it.

Damn John, twice in one day.

This response submitted by Kenneth on 02/04/2003. ( ) 64.58.38.17

You must have not had your wheaties today. This is twice you have scolded me today. The first one, you still owe me an apology on.

Actually

This response submitted by cyclone on 02/05/2003. ( ) 129.43.43.200

the formula for pH is: -Log[H+]
(the '+' sign should be superscripted)....

or the negative of the logarithm of the hydrogen ion concentration in a solution. The concentration, of course, must be expressed in "Moles per liter".

The proper way of writing pH is lower case "p" upper case "H".

On a normal scale pH is expressed as a number on a scale from 1 to 14
1 being more acidic (having more hydrogen ions (H+) present), 14 being more basic (having more hydroxide (-oH) ions present).

i.e. A solution with a pH of 1 has a concentration of 1x10-1 moles or 0.1 moles of hydrogen ions per 1 liter of solution.

A pH of 7 is considered neutral as the hydrogen ions and the hydroxide ions are in equilibrium.

It is a common misconception that pH's cannot fall below 1 or above 14. Highly concentrated acids have pH's in the negative range and bases can exceed 14...

It doesn't mean potential and it is not a percentage

hope this helps...

I just a dumb ole country boy, Kenneth

This response submitted by John C on 02/05/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.41

Your scientific explanation was very good.

Cyclones is very good too. Maybe better than your, as even I understand it this way.

Here is what I looked at. Seems like with todays methods of teaching our youth in high schools many would not know what pH is or a simple explanation.

Since many dont even want to research Taxidermy, I have to think why would they want to research pH on the internet.
Especially when its been posted here a hundred times and how to test it.

Sorry Kenneth did not intend for my post to disrespect you or your post.

Just kidding John,

This response submitted by Kenneth on 02/05/2003. ( ) 65.64.66.252

You know I am just giving you a hard time.

RTF say's

This response submitted by RTF on 02/05/2003. ( nysp_2003@hotmail.com ) 216.238.61.8

Ahh, come on guys, group hug.

can ya feel it

This response submitted by John W. on 02/05/2003. ( ) 12.215.62.65

Can ya just feel the LOVE!?

secondary school kid from britain

This response submitted by simon on 03/15/2003. ( simonjhadley@hotmail.com ) 81.131.22.245

ok.

i'm doing some GCSE coursework on neutralistion reactions and i'm aiming for the highest grade. please could you give me a step by step guide to working out the pH of a solution.

how do i know how many moles i have? (is it written on the bottle?)
how do i know how many Molar i have?
what is logarithm? (other than a button on my calculator)

is there a quick way to calculate the pH if i know the percentage of hydroxide/hydrogen ions in the solution (on a basic theoretical experiment using single atoms of hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide)

just out of interest can you give me an example of a really strong acid (below 0) and a really strong alkaline (above 14)

hope you can handle all that, it would be much apprecaited if you could spare the time to explain

feel free to email me, even if its only to tell me a really strong acid and alkaline without explaining the formula

thanks a lot

simon

can someone help me

This response submitted by Allie on 11/02/2003. ( allie_oop02@yahoo.com ) 63.208.67.243

Hey uh well i am doing a science fair prodject on which ant-acid works the best and i need some help finding info on it to write a paper..can someone help me with some info like on the pH level in ant-acids! thanks a bunch

Return to Tanning Category Menu