Just a comment on Bill's "cheap shot" about water softening.

Submitted by DMDC on 02/08/2003. ( ) 24.209.11.150

Hello. I went back and read the original post that prompted me to explain the usage of salt. I know it was in good humor but I thought I'd let you know about water softening too. (I'm rather bored tonight, in case you were wondering).

Actually, salt only plays a role in water softening. It's the resin in the softener, usually C-249 resin that changes the hardness of water. Salt has both a positively and negatively charged ions, sodium (Na+), and chloride (Cl-) for example, which is table salt. The resin also has ions it it. Opposites attract ( a basic rule in inorganic chemistry). Water is distributed to the salt to pick up ions, then filtered through resin to do an ion exchange, say one positive charge for another which makes soft water feel "slick." Much like it feels when you can't seem to get all of the soap rinsed off.

Kind of off the whole taxidermy topic I know but what the heck.

I really enjoy reading all the posts here. It's rather entertaining.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

One more point...

This response submitted by DMDC on 02/08/2003. ( ) 24.209.11.150

I forgot to mention one other point on water softening...you can also put about 1/3 cubic foot of coconut shell carbon in a softener to enhance taste! Isn't that cool?

DMDC

You the man DMDC

This response submitted by Bill on 02/08/2003. ( ) 216.221.81.99

I ejoy reading your comments,keepem coming

U put the lime in the coconut

This response submitted by the culligan man on 02/09/2003. ( H2O@thewell ) 64.12.96.79

It's Saturday night Get a life my WELL earned friend! Go have some purified fun. Or watch some streaming video. Wet time are you do in the morning. Temperatures are falling, call in slick!?

to culligan

This response submitted by DMDC on 02/09/2003. ( ) 24.209.11.150

I have a wonderful life. I have a wife and 3 kids. 2 girls and a boy. I married my highschool sweetheart. We have a nice home, 2 new cars, a yellow labrador retriever named Sadie and a bunch of deer on the wall! Tonight I spent time with the kids and got them all to bed. Then I get online for some time to myself.

I hunt in at least 6 states every year. I have a number of rifles to choose from, all but one custom made. I shoot a nice Mathews bow and a Knight muzzleloader.

I reload all my own ammuntion as a hobby and I have for 10 years.

what is your story?

DMDC.

And one more thing...

This response submitted by DMDC on 02/09/2003. ( ) 24.209.11.150

I've also been in every state in this wonderful country of ours except Alaska and Hawaii...

I like my life.

DMDC.

Veryy interessting

This response submitted by John C on 02/09/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.85

So the ions atracting each other.

It seems tome that soft water is less abrasive, is this caused by the exchange?

Also it seems that when showering with softened water soap is harder to remove, even in the shower.

What I do notice is that our water is very hard, so hard in fact that the clear glasses after a year or so have a calcium build up. This easy easily cleaned up using CLR.

Thanks for the chemistry lesson.

DMDC

This response submitted by The Rookie on 02/10/2003. ( NatuesTrophies@aol.com ) 205.188.209.5

Great to hear of one who is living life to the fullest! But I know that you as an accomplished man would like to preserve what you have. Please do read on more in these forums and see the true rigors that some truly great Artists have to deal with. Would GIVE you Alaska and Hawaii to solve the problems some are defenseless to now.Best Wishes-Jeff

Return to Tanning Category Menu