need advice from bruce rittle

Submitted by lee on 02/19/2003. ( fletcher@elltel.net ) 66.119.33.135

bruce, i have searched the archives and i am a little worried about over tanning with lutan f. i read in an earlier post by you that 16 to 20 hours is plenty for a bear to be in the tan. is there a way to check it after 16 hours, or less? i do not have a wet drum. im using a 30 gallon can. also how long for thick hides like beef and moose. my last question is, can i tumble with oderless mineral spirits after the oil has penetrated, then mount. (skipping the drying prosess)thanks for your help, lee

Return to Tanning Category Menu

There is no sure way to check!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/19/2003. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.121.137.64

There is no sure way to check for a full tanning using Lutan F (N). However - if you do not tan beyond 24 hours you can reasonably be sure that the skin is thoroughly tanned. Over 24 hours - you lose stretchiness and the chemicals in the fibers begin to cross-link.

Even on thick skins such as Buffalo and Moose - the 24 hour rule applies. I usually use it 16-20 hours and it has always been reasonably accurate. I tan anything from a Weasel to a Moose using 16-20 hours. With no problems.

And yes! If you want to "Wet Tan" - simply pull the cape from the tanning solution - rinsde it well with water - then drain it for 30 minutes - apply your tanning oil - fold and allow the oil to soak in for 3-4 hours - then tumble it in sawdust with Odorless Minewral Spirits added - blow it off and freeze it until you are ready - or mount it right away.

thank you bruce

This response submitted by lee on 02/19/2003. ( ) 66.119.33.135

thank you so much, that cleared up everything for me!thank you

Return to Tanning Category Menu