odor in my cape

Submitted by Dan on 02/26/2003. ( dan@bucktownmounts.com ) 24.51.164.54

I just did an elk and I didn't notice it(my shop has it own little odor) but my client did he has the elk home it was tanned at the tannery but he says there is a chemical smell to it. What should I do or will this go away. I usually tan my own capes but some stuff I send out never had any smells like this.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

They all have a smell.

This response submitted by John C on 02/26/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.22

How dumb are customers anyway? He expects it not to have some type of oder. It will go away with time. Tell him it the porccess and they all have some type of smell, new cars, new furniture, new carpet, new flooring, everything has a new smell even taxidermy. Thell him just like everything else thats new the smeel is fact its new! In a few weeks it will smell like the rest of his house.

plus

This response submitted by jim on 02/26/2003. ( ) 209.193.81.39

If he lives close besides telling him what John said, offer to go over to his house and then wipe the mount down with a mild cleaner.

Van Dykes

This response submitted by The Rookie on 02/27/2003. ( NaturesTrophies@aol.com ) 64.12.96.79

Dan, Van Dykes sells a leather scent that works really well. Might be something that could be considered in the future. Do be carefull with it though. The stuff is VERY potent. To much and the neighbors will be looking for the Burlington coat factory sign. Good Luck- Jeff

Return to Tanning Category Menu