What are the main steps to tan boar hair on skin?

Submitted by Gio on 10/29/2003. ( ) 206.181.220.5

I have search all over this sight and found much info. Archives don't work for me all I get is oooooxxoooxoooxoo like that. I have found out allot. This is my first time doing a skin.

I have a two wild hog skins one stretched and covered with pickling salt and the other salted and rolled in the freezer from last year, which my 15 year old shot. His first kill and I would like to make a nice wall rug to include nose and ears. Moneys tight and I would like to take on the task. My buddy gave me a 4 point dear head for me to practice. I ordered Vandyke"s Mount kit.
I bought the Vandyke"s Potassium Alum tanning kit. I am unsure if it comes with instructions. I am also unsure about the different methods and chemicals which is the best and or best for the beginner.
I am looking up stuff but if anyone can help with info.
So far I"ve found out these steps if their right
1 salt clean salt again
2 soak in salt solution (brine) re-hydrate
degrase
3 Flesh
4 Pickle need (formula?)
5 ?
6 ?
7 ?
Please help fill in the blanks
Thanks It's probably already been answered but I could not find
Email Giovac@miamidade.gov

Return to Tanning Category Menu

hooked on phonics

This response submitted by otto on 10/29/2003. ( toto_hottie@hotmail.com ) 198.110.112.254

You ere reilly tupid. I fink you ned 2 gat a live.

Here we go with the spelling/typing criticisms again

This response submitted by Lonestar on 10/29/2003. ( ) 152.1.77.151

We are here to help. The spelling does not matter, the content does.
Gio, there are several books that spell out (no pun intended) the tanning process for you. There are also several methods that will work. A boar hide will cost around 35 to 65 dollars to commercially tan. You will spend that and more to try and do it yourself. (If money is the only object here.) Pride in doing it yourself will give back some of that value.

Good Luck,

Lonestar

I"M WITH OTTO

This response submitted by Home school on 10/29/2003. ( ) 208.3.188.229

xxooxoxxxxoooxoxooxooxo

Ok the steps once more LOL

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 10/30/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.164.59.35

Being and hoping you fleshed it properly and removed its sheild, here you go.
salt for 24 hrs and shake or and resalt. Hide sould be on a slight slant to drain off the fluids. Dry hard.
Rehydrate in water and use Rittel's ultra soft.
Drain for thirty minutes and place it in the pickle which should have a Ph of 2.5 or lower. I keep mine at 1 and I use Saftee acid which comes with directions and safe to use.
Pickle for three days, take out and drain for another 30 minutes, shave and then degrease the hog.
After you degrease it place it back in the pickle for another day.
take out and drain for another 30 minutes.
Make a neturlizing bath of a tablespoon of baking soda to a gallon of water. Neturlize it in the bath for 15 to 20 minutes, rinse and drain for another thrity minutes.
Now your ready for tanning. I just did a hog and I used Knobloch's liqua-tan and the pig came out great. I use two different tans which work out great and they are either Rittel's EZ-100 or Knobloch's liqua-tan. These are very good tans and they don't wash out. These are my personal choice tans and you can use what ever you like just make sure you follow their instructions to a T and all will be fine.

Thanks you guys

This response submitted by Gio on 10/30/2003. ( Giovac@miamidade.gov ) 206.181.220.5

Thanks
I am really interested in doing this myself.
I am acquiring the books and videos.
Locally the hides cost Deer $ 120.00 Hog $280.00
The cost would keep me from doing as many
Mounts and skins as our hunting trips could provide.
I hate to waist what could be put to use and the
memories each hold.
I would still like to do this with my 15 year old son.
He loves the outdoors as much as I do. We live near Miami.
We drive far to hunt in Florida and love it.
I was very impressed with the site Amy has.
I did copy the instructions she provided. I also thank Frank E. Kotula
for your repeating yours to me.
I am a Computer Programmer and Cartographer. (Satellite Maps Web pages)
Not a desktop publisher.

Thanks again for your patience with my inquire.
I am glad this forum allows ignorant inquires.
And I hope that my grammar, in hast, did not detract from my sincerity.
I have always been interested and now I have the opportunity.

Thanks again
Local Deer Mounts cost up to $450.00
Boar rugs 350.00 Deer hides 120.00 and up

I KNOW HOGS GIO

This response submitted by Hogger on 11/06/2003. ( crackshot1@verizon.net ) 4.7.211.191

Gio,

I've mounted many a hog. Though I must admit I've never made a rug type deal on one and don't intend to since there are other critters with prettier pelts than a hog. But that's just my view. Whatever turns you on.

Anyway this is good sound advice. First off I'm a little woried about the salted frozen hide. Since salt is an anti-freeze, and it draws moisture out of a hide, I'm worried that if you put enough salt on that hide and stuck it in a plastic bag and "froze" it, you might discover a problem down the road when you remove it. It may not have froze as a result of the heavy salting. And with body fluids oozing out of the skin the hide will have sat in a pool of that fluid and may cause slippage. Hog hides are about the most resillient hides though, so maybe no problem. If it is lightly salted then no problem.

Step 1: kill a hog
step 2: skin it
step 3: wash it with dish soap and water in a tub.
step 4: rinse
step 5: wash it again (hogs are dirty critters).
step 6: use a box cutter and carefully cut checker board patterns in the armor plating part of the hide. Cut so that you almost reack the outer hide part but don't cut through. This will allow salt to get deep into the hide. Also remove any big pieces of flesh and fat.

step 7: salt the hide liberally except on the face area.
step 8: lay hide on a table while salted and turn ears, nose and lips.
step 9: salt those areas too.
step 10: hang hide in a cool place or blow fan on it.
step 11: let hide sweat and drip for a few hours.
step 12: when hide sweat drip trickles to a crawl take hide down and brush off salt.
step 13: Now here you either need a bunch of sharp knives handy or, I use a scalple type knife and I get those disposable blades from the hardware store. to me that's the way to go. Start cutting away all the flesh and that stubborn armor plating. Careful, this stuff is like cutting a rubber tire and you could slip and cut yourself to pieces. With practice it's not so bad. The checkerboard pattern makes this part easier since you can take one square at a time.
step1 14: This might be where you are disappointed. Especially since you are making a wall rug. Hog skin is thick and hard to soften. I can't imagine doing what you're doing without having a fleshing machine handy to thin the hide out beyond what you were able to remove with your knife and to smooth out those rough knife cuts. Anyway, step 14 is flesh hide on a flesh machine. You may have to skip this part if you have no choice.

step 15: Get you some "Super Solvent" degreaser and apply to the flesh side according to instruactions. Especially around the brisket where it get really greasy. Let hide sit 1 or 2 hours.
step 16: Rinse degreaser off and salt flesh side liberally again.
step 17: hang hide and let air dry until skin firms up. It doesn't have to get as stiff as a board, but get it where its not so pliable.
step 18: Soften hide in a solution of 8 gallons cool water, 2 ounces bacteriacide of your choice and 2 ounces kemol skin relaxer. No need for salt.
step 19: when skin is soft and pliable, remove, no need to rinse, and place in a pickle bath. 8 gallons cool water, 12 cups salt, 4 ounces saftee acid, 2 ounces bacteriacide. check PH- 1.5 to 2.0. Leave for 24 hours on smaller thinner skin hogs and 36 hours on bigger ones.
step 20: neutralize solution with baking soda. Don't get the baking soda directly on the skin. Pull skin to one side of container and mix baking soda in solution. mix a couple tablespoons at a time until you get a 6.0 PH. Let skin sit for 2 hours in this and test skin with PH paper to see if it neutralized.
step 21: placed neutralized skin in tanning solution. I strongly recommend the Lutan F or Lutan FN tanning method (same thing). Lutan is the best and most used tan by the tanning industry and the steps are about the same as the tan you mentioned. I use 8 gallons water, 8 cups salt, 16 ounces Lutan powder and 2 ounces bacteriacide. Submerge hide. Weight it down if you must. Let sit for 48 hours.
step 22: Remove and rinse. You now have a perfectly tanned hog hide.

From here on, you are on your own if you're making a wall rug. I would'nt know how to soften a hog hide for that, but if I were to try I would buy one of those hide softener chemicals and apply it to any of my baths that it can be applied to. The instructions will tell you. Most are compatible with wash bath, pickle and tan bath.

I hope this long winded instructions help. Let me know how it works out okay?

Hogger

Return to Tanning Category Menu