Tanning with battery acid

Submitted by David on 11/10/2003. ( ) 64.180.9.245

I found a tanning recipe that calls for the acid out of one car battery, one kg of salt and three litres of water. Put all this in a container, close lid and stir once a day for a month, check skins if not ready leave for another month.
My question is has anyone tried this recipe and how did it work out.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

i would

This response submitted by lee on 11/10/2003. ( ) 66.119.33.170

i would really consider using a regular tanning product. much safer and better results, faster. never tried it before but acid from a car battery eats stuff, probally your hide too!
good luck
lee

Don't even think about it

This response submitted by Lyle on 11/10/2003. ( ) 64.19.92.100

Don't even think about it, its crazy with all the good products and alternatives out there. Research it & leave the batteries for your car.

Battery Acid

This response submitted by Laurier on 11/10/2003. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.209.91

Battery acid (sulfric acid) will work as well but it does not puff
the leather as well.

Laurier

What about pelts?

This response submitted by Joe on 11/10/2003. ( ) 207.177.36.199

I also had a recipe which said to use battery acid...It was mainly talking about tanning small pelts (like from coons or rabbits) Since I don't have anything else right now, and I do have a couple old car batteries...Do you think it's worth a shot? Prehaps battery acid works better on pelts than on leather? Just a thought..I'm new to this.

Battery acid is not pure acid.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 11/10/2003. ( ) 66.233.157.155

there are several compoounds in battery acid, lead is one of them.

Look acid is cheap, very dadburn cheap, if you cannot afford to buy a pure acid you cannot afford to use battery acid. Your formula is a very old formula and a dangerous formula.

For less than $20.00 you can buy several different types of acid for tanning. but you have already decided you will use the battery acid so dont blame anyone here if you die from it or loose you eyes or eyesite from it.

YOU WERE WARNED!!

An aquaintance

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 11/11/2003. ( ) 69.19.22.217

of mine tanned a deer hide with that method several years ago. It produced a gorgeous, soft hide. But, as mentioned above, it is pretty caustic stuff. Rittel's Saftee Acid is a good alternative.

No, No, NO!

This response submitted by cyclone on 11/12/2003. ( ) 67.201.148.185

Battery acid contains sulfuric acid. John is correct, there is a substanial amount of lead (Pb) and lead sulfate. You're exposing yourself and others to lead. Go buy some acetic, muratic (hydorcloric), formic, or better yet some of the "safety type acids found in the catalogs.

Return to Tanning Category Menu