Liqua tan

Submitted by Dave H on 01/07/2004. ( daveh@whirlawaycorporation.con ) 65.123.65.204

I have been seeing small spots of loose hair on capes in very odd places. I know these hides were salted and pickled correctly. I have never used Liqua tan until this year. I would also like to know what makes the hair on the capes get all curly and screwed up looking after tanning and tumbling?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Not sure

This response submitted by Mike on 01/07/2004. ( ) 63.160.131.33

It is not the liqua tan.The damage may have been done before it was salted.

Are you

This response submitted by sean on 01/07/2004. ( s.frizzell3@verizon.net ) 162.83.29.185

tumbling before you put the tan on or after? You should try tumbling before you put the tan on. Thats if your not talking about the sawdust tumble. That method probably will not work at all with ligua tan.
Try this:
Take cape out from pickel and get the water out and tumble. Then apply ligua tan and put in a bag and put in either refrigerator or freezer atleast over night. If not using next day put in freezer.

Liqua-Tan

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 01/08/2004. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.169.78.221

You probally not cleaning the animal properly and it has either some grease burn on it from not degreasing it right or it did not rehydrate properly either. There are to many varibles here to really determine on what's going on.
Also the hair shouldn't get matted like your saying. Now I wash all my hides in pert shampoo before I mount. I also rinse well and then tumble in a dryer set on cool with a bunch of towels in it. If washed well it should comb out fine and look great when your done. Check your steps on what your doing and see where you could be missing one or not doing it properly.

Return to Tanning Category Menu