streach of the hides

Submitted by david on 01/03/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.198

im salting my hides 2 days ,putting them in a pickle ,using saftie acid ,pickleing them 3 days ,but after putting on my tan with is liqa tan , when re-checking the hide size im loosing 1-2 sometimes for on my neck size.
take a w.t. cape i check the neck size after i take the hide off witch might be 21 in behind the ears ,after pickle and tan it might be 18 in what am i not doing or what am i doing wrong . can someone help me out here.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

David,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 01/03/2004. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 67.200.29.177

send me an e-mail with your mailing address and phone number and I will send you a free sample of a product that will probably cure your woes.
Glen

Two things come to mind on this problem.

This response submitted by John C on 01/03/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Well maybe three.

Are the capes properly thinned?

Are the capes properly neutralized?
check with pH paper around 5pH is a good number.

Are the not pulled and streched when soaking the cape?
When using a paint on tan and you let the cape dry, you need to use 1/2 ERA laundry detergent to 4 gallons of water give the cape a lot of pulling streching in all directions and if thinned will normally let out.

Or is it all three?

Meaurement

This response submitted by Wade on 01/03/2004. ( Rhino223@aol.com ) 68.168.177.234

The first thing that comes to mind is how you measure the hide. Do you take a hide measurement or a meat measurement? I have found the actual meat measurement to be much more accurate.

Wade

had the same problem

This response submitted by J. Randall on 01/06/2004. ( ) 216.176.168.108

until recently I used the safety acid pickle and liqua tan on all my capes,I followed the instructions to a T, kept a close eye on my ph during the pickle, neutralized the cape basically did everything the way it says but I always had to work really hard to get the neck measurements back to the original size, shaving my hide thinner did help but I still had to tug and pull and cuss alot more than I wanted. I tried Krow Tan 2000 by Ozark Woods and couldnt be happier with the results, I didn't notice any shrinkage in the cape, the hair was set good (and this one was pretty "iffy") and alot less work all the way around. I'm not knocking Liqua Tan but I'm sold on Krow tan for mounts.
best to you and yours.

Return to Tanning Category Menu