The high's of Lysol

Submitted by Hogger on 01/05/2004. ( ) 4.7.208.165

Been hearing about how the "new" Lysol's PH is too high for use on capes. I'm not disputing that. But I use a couple of cap fulls in a wash. I check the PH of my wash, not the raw Lysol. IF my wash has too high a PH I add Saftee Acid, not to make an acid bath, but just to raise the PH to a safer level. I know some may say that sounds like common sense, but I haven't heard anyone bring it up with all this talk about the new and dreaded Lysol.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Huh?

This response submitted by George on 01/05/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.133

If your hide is in a position to use Saftee Acid, why would you need Lysol anyway. Phenol killed BACTERIA, the pH was a byproduct of that action. If doesn't do squat now, so why would you add it to anything?

I'm with George!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 01/05/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.171.103

It isnt the PH that is a problem with Lysol. It's the fact that it has no redeeming value in tanning. It doesnt even target the bacteria that we contend with -- so why would anyone use it?

Years ago it used to contain a miniscule amount of Phenol (Carbolic Acid) but I'm sure the EPA made them stop adding it. Even then it had very little practical use because the amount of Phenol was so dramatically small! However - for some odd reason, because Phenol was in the list of ingredients - everyone jumped on its use as a Bacteriacide. Sorry guys (and I know a lot of guys who still insist on using it) - it don't work! You may think it works - but it's only because nothing went wrong!

Yes - the PH is also very high (approximately 9.5 PH) - and adding it to your solutions could bump your PH up. But despite that - why use an ineffective product in the first place?

Suppliers (like Rittel and others) go to great lengths to offer an effectve Bacteriacide that attacks the common bacteria that we find in tanning. If I thought for 1 minute that Lysol was an effective Bacteriacide - don't you think I'd bottle it and sell it? I wont!

One aspect of Phenol you should know about, and it's probably why the EPA doesnt want it used in "human" kitchen use products. It's easily absorbed through your skin upon exposure - also it has a half-life of something like 1750 years - so it almost never breaks down! When you dump it and it seeps into the local waterways it raises hell with fish and aquatic plant life. It simply keeps on killing!

Hogger,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 01/05/2004. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 65.227.21.34

I understand your thinking. You are thinking in terms of the Lysol having anti-bacterial properties, so it has to kill bacteria. You are also thinking in terms of adding acid that you are lowering the pH of the Lysol. Sounds good on paper, but it doesn't work that way.

This is a simple little "experiment" that you can set up for yourself so that you can see (smell) with your own senses what takes place.

Lysol's active ingredients are ammonium chlorides, and have anti-bacterial properties as such. The molecular formula for ammonium chloride is written as such: NH4 Cl

The molecular formula for ammonium hydroxide is written as such:
NH4 O2

You would know ammonium hydroxide as ammonia water, which in this case you would want to use what we know as household ammonia.

Put a teaspoon of household ammonia in a cup or bowl, and then add your acid to that. You will find that you have "neutralized", or converted the ammonium ions.......the ammonia odor will be gone.

A conversion of the ammonium ions will have also taken place when you have added the acid to the Lysol any time. The "experiment" I have described above gives you a more pure form of control to prove to yourself what has taken place. The Lysol was converted to other compounds by the acid, and no longer exists as ammonium choride.

I live and learn

This response submitted by Hogger on 01/06/2004. ( ) 4.7.208.165

Despite living in hot humid climate I've had ever increasing with tanning my own hides. I'm at a point where I am 99% confident of my tanning success. But through earlier losses of capes I've excersized "overboard" precautions to play it safe. I guess this was one of them. Bruce, yes I do use your bacteriacide and it must be working great because like I said, my hides do well. Having said all this, I do listen to those more in the know than I. So, I'll save the few extra bucks cash and discontinue the Lysol. Thank you all for a most valuable lesson in chemistry. I made my original post because I was stumped about the situation and thought I might be missing something. Yep I was. Again... Thanks guys.

A learned Hogger

Me too.

This response submitted by roger on 01/26/2004. ( ) 12.22.37.94

I would like to thank Bruce & Glen, I've always wondered about the P.H. level,and if Lysol realy works as good as I have read. With all the bacteriacides on the market how do we know witch one targets the bactera in question, (besides Rittels) And is available in my local X-mart. Any hints?.

Return to Tanning Category Menu