Washing a tanned cape

Submitted by Mark on 01/10/2004. ( ) 12.172.241.86

Is it ok to wash a whitetail cape after its been tanned (liqua tan) and in the freezer. Just getting ready to mount one. Do I let it thaw out, wash with pert shampoo then blow dry it? I don't have a tumbler or old washing machine. Thanks for any advice.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Use ERA laundry det.

This response submitted by John C on 01/10/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I usually et them hang and dry when using L-T, I also like to wash with ERA, then run through a washing machine for the rinse and spin it out.

Yes

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 01/11/2004. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.172.70.118

That would be fine. Pert does a bit better job than era and gives it a better shine. Not knocking John's advice down for it also works, but you asked about the pert in you thread.

It's not only "OK"

This response submitted by Bruce Anderson on 01/11/2004. ( bruce@adventuretaxidermy.com ) 216.97.184.196

If you did not wash the tanned cape you would certainly wished you had. Your glue would not stick too well and the hair would be oily.
I wash everything in Dawn. Three washes and two rinses makes capes squeaky clean. You can wash things too little but probably never too much.

Return to Tanning Category Menu