1st ez-100 tan

Submitted by chris on 01/19/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.198

i tanned a mink;racoon;grey fox.mink and coon came out great,but fox had 1 inch slipp spot under chin?the fox wasnt slippin before i put it in the pickle and my ph was right?i have 6 fox i would like to tan but are now scared.i need some help,i want to try more fox but dont want to lose them.any things you can do on fox to help prevent slippin even if there not slippin to start with.working with dry salted skins.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

If your pH was right thenthe pickle is not at fault.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 01/19/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Its something in your procces, pH should be less than 3.0 did you check it? often? The larger the pickle vat, the less your chance of having the pH climb.

Go back and relook what you did?!

ph right

This response submitted by chris on 01/19/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.133

maybe the ph wasnt a factor because i know it never went above 2 the hole time,check it often.the only thing i did before the pickle was rehydrate with knob-relaxer by directions and only left it in for half as long as it called for?could that have dond it.

3 Days!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 01/20/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.171.235

This could have been a combination of problems. First - was your pickling and tanning done at a reasonable temp - above 55 degrees? And - why did you only pickle for 1 and 1/2 days instead of the recommended 3 days? If you expect a fully pickled skin - it takes 3 days using Saftee Acid. Until then the Acid doesnt have a chance to firm the skins and prepare them for tanning.

i did pickle for 3 days

This response submitted by chris on 01/20/2004. ( ) 205.188.208.169

i did pickle for 3 days,i said the only thing i did before the pickle was rehydrate with knob-relaxer and only left in for a hour or two.i put some rittle bacteracide in rehyrate bath.did the rest to directions.when i neutralize i didnt check ph,i just followed directions,didnt say any thing about checking ph.and i used acid crystals.

Not the pickle:

This response submitted by Brian on 01/22/2004. ( brianwlg@yahoo.com ) 216.111.205.36

Chris, Its not the pickle,if it was you would expierience slippage in more areas. Did you salt thouroghly could you have missed that spot? The skin could get folded over and not get salt on that spot. Was it bloody? Blood is protein rich and is the culprit for many weak or slipped areas. Small mammals are very delicate they are more prone to problems than other animals. Fox are predators and their chemistry is designed to break down tissue,bone and hair. Could some of the mucus got in the hair and on the skin? Finally when making pickles check them daily,and keep the PH under 2.0. This will keep bacteria in check. Good Luck Brian.

brian

This response submitted by chris on 01/25/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.133

thanks brian

Return to Tanning Category Menu