Hog Sheild Headache

Submitted by Brian on 01/22/2004. ( brianktanner@sbcglobal.net ) 66.139.5.153

Just wondering about the best way to remove the sheild and fat from a large boar? I have a small dakota fleshing machine that works great for deer but I don't know if it is up to this task. I don't have a beam and draw knife. Does the cape need to be shaved down to the hair follicles? The cape is fleshed as good as I could with a knife and heavily salted. I use liquatan and saftee acid for deer capes; is this gonna be ok for a boar also.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Reset the guards and retune the blade

This response submitted by George on 01/22/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.102

The Dakota will do just fine once you do that. Setting the guards on the older machines was next to impossible, but I'm sure they've improved that feature. Set your blade about 1/8 above the guard and CAREFULLY work on just the shield area with not a whole lot of downward pressure. You can get seriously cut trying to horse a boar hide over a round knife. Been there, done that, got the stitches to prove it. Also be very careful in tuning that blade. If you lift it too much, it will pull the work even deeper. Make sure by lightly drawing the hide across the blade before you begin serious work.

Once the shield is removed, raise your guards and then shave the hide down to the backside of the hair follicles.

Dont forget to

This response submitted by Hog Heaven wholesale boars on 01/22/2004. ( rc5766@gisco.net ) 64.19.81.77

degrease the cape before you put it into the pickle.You'll be amazed at what comes out

Hang the cape over a post

This response submitted by BOWGULL on 01/23/2004. ( ) 161.114.1.181

I have a 2' high post about 8" in diameter. I invert the hide hang it over the post then push straight down with an electric knife. The shield rolls off like butter. For some reason the knife doesn't cut into the hide at least mine doesn't Im left with skin that looks like a golf ball. The shield comes off in 1" to 2" wide strips the length of the cape. I tried doing one on my dakota but I believe I would still be working on it. I currently have 3 capes in the freezer and one of these the shield and fat is over 5 inches thick. 1/8 cuts at a time ain't gonna get it from a fleshing machine.

Return to Tanning Category Menu