fleshing machine blade

Submitted by trt on 01/21/2004. ( ) 66.133.174.203

looking to see what blade everyone likes for fleshing machines. i've got a Van Dyke's blade on now, but this one didn't last nearly as long as it should. i had one from them before and i loved it, then i got the same blade (the heavy lip one) and changed tuning steel to the one Van Dyke's sends when you buy one of their machines and anyways i shaved only about 30-40 hides on it, and it won't keep an edge worth nothing, i can bairly get it to cut. i've changed the gurads, tried shaving at different angles and nothing happens. i guess the blade is shot. also what tuning steels are the best. also if could tell me where to get them, it would be great!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I noticed a difference

This response submitted by Kenneth on 01/21/2004. ( ) 164.58.213.120

I also have a Dakota machine from Van Dykes. I had very similar problems with the blades and steels. When it came time to purchase a new blade, it was recommended to me to by one from Stewart Manufactoring (Eager Beaver). I also purchased a new steel from them. I have noticed a huge difference in the longevity of my blades. The new steel seems to be much better than the Van Dyke's steel. I don't even know when I have changed it lately. It is still as sharp as a razor and touches up easily. Good Luck.

Don't throw it away:

This response submitted by brian on 01/21/2004. ( brianwlg@yahoo.com ) 216.111.205.84

Don't trash the blade it can be reground. Get it reground, then go to your nearest welding supplier and buy a stick of tungsten welding rod replace your steels with the tungsten. Use very light pressure when tuning the blade. Then look out it will be smoking sharp. Try it and e-mail me and tell me how it worked for you. Brian

what size

This response submitted by trt on 01/21/2004. ( ) 66.133.174.203

Brian,
what size of tungsten rod should i use?

Return to Tanning Category Menu