Effects of well water and tanning?

Submitted by Rick,T on 01/25/2004. ( rickt@joink.com ) 65.240.46.96

I have read several paragraphs here and there in supply catalogs that say DO NOT USE WITH WELL WATER, Lets use Rittels Saftee Acid for an example, In Noonkesters supply catalog a CAUTION is listed under this product stating, Do Not Use This Product with Well Water, High contents of lime in pickle causes acid to neautralize.

OK, I am on city water supply that is fed by well water, I have never really noticed any problems with PH in my pickles nor have I had to add more saftee acid other than the 1/2oz per gallon of water as directed, I check my PH of pickle before putting in a cape, 3 hrs after putting in a cape, and every day there after, and my PH seems to be steady at 1.5, so if well water is not reccommended for this product could it be that the water in this area lacks high lime content, or is the acid really neautralizing in the bath and not affecting my PH?

I always seem to get good results with this product even using well water, I have had a few instances with slippage around eyes and some capes coming out of the pickle with a smell of sulfur content, I know we have alot of natural springs in this area with high contents of sulfur BUT you can not smell it or taste it in the water. I'm really curious as to how many guys use well water with this product and have good results.

I plan to get a copy of recent water samples from the Water works facility Monday just to see the contenets of our water.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I have well water.

This response submitted by Todd B on 01/25/2004. ( ) 67.29.201.72

But I guess I never really read the directions on the acids. I have always just added until the ph was 1.5 to 2.0. I have never had a problem with the acids I have used. I have a bottle of Safety acid I was going to try when I was out of the other acid. This is the first I have heard anyone say not to use it with well water. I will check it out with my next batch of skins.

Todd B

Rick,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 01/25/2004. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 67.200.29.122

Use the orange button, enter "water ain't water" in quotes. You might pick up a thing or two.

City Water is usually not a problem!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 01/25/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.171.6

As a rule - City Water, even if it's from a well - is closely monitored and analyzed thoroughly. It's doubtful that it would ever cause any major problems in pickling and tanning. Drawing water from a well directly however, could cause problems in influencing the PH of your solutions - and if it contains a lot of metals, it could react with some tanning agents.

Since you have city water - I'd guess you shouldnt have any problems. Just monitor your solutions and compensate for any PH variations you encounter.

Return to Tanning Category Menu