Harmful/Hazardous Chemicals

Submitted by Rich on 01/26/2004. ( ) 207.74.23.130

I am just begining to do taxidermy work, and am looking for any and all info that people are willing to share with me. I have been curious about this topic for a while, but kinda felt dumb asking. I'm always skeptical when working with unknown chemicals, and with all the tanning solutions, degreasing solvents, feet injecting solutions, habitat materials, etc, there is room for curiousity! I plan to start a family soon, and I am wondering if there are any chemicals that are known to cause BIRTH DEFECTS in unborn children, cause CANCER, etc. The only thing I have heard of is that formaldehyde is a carcinogen! If there is ANY other info that I need to know about, PLEASE let me know. I would also like to know something that is not harmful that I could use in place of these harmful chemicals. Sorry for the long message, but I will be put to ease with your information. Thanks! -RICH

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Call the manufacturer

This response submitted by Bill on 01/26/2004. ( ) 66.250.5.14

and request the MSDS if you have any concerns. I would recommend doing this anyway so you will know what it will or will not react with as well as other health issues.

If you are that worried go to organic farming.

This response submitted by John C on 01/26/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Anything can cause problems, you probley have more kitchen chemicals that are dangerous than in taxidermy.

Now with the wonderfull resources of the internet and this site look up the chemical names and us any of the search engines to find your answers.

Proprietary Formulations

This response submitted by research blockade on 01/27/2004. ( ) 216.144.8.72

John, while your idea is aiming in the right ballpark, what you are forgetting is that many of these products used in taxidermy are proprietary and protected by patents or other means from legal disclosure. She can't look up the chemical name of EZ-100 because it's protected, for example. She can get the MSDS ...

Better advice is, if you really want happy and healthy babies, get genetic counseling, and give up taxidermy or exposure to a bunch of "unknowns" until you have given birth to the kid(s).

Or wear a respirator and gloves, and quit worrying (worrying can cause stress which can harm you and your kid(s)!) because after all those precautions, you are still far more at risk from dying or losing your kid(s) in a car wreck, just going to the grocery store or for your prenatal, than getting some Bacteriacide on your skin!

Correction!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 01/27/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.171.253

There is nothing proprietory about EZ-100! Chemically speaking - it is a Sulphonic Acid Syntan tanning agent. Environmentally safe - contains no metals - and is safe for personal use and handling. It is not suggested that it be ingested - otherwise you would experience severe stomach cramps. And like all dusty materials - you should avoid inhaling it.

What about "brain tanning?"

This response submitted by New Sue on 02/04/2004. ( ) 24.45.3.6

I am also new to this but in one hour of internet research, I have found several sources which recommend using brains and smoke to tan naturally. Afterall, what did people do before the chemicals were available?

I am wondering what the pros and cons are, if there is anyone out there familiar with the different methods. Thanks!

Return to Tanning Category Menu