Water Test Results IN !

Submitted by Rick,T on 01/26/2004. ( rickt@joink.com ) 65.240.46.36

I posted earlier about well water and the cautions of some tanning products, I have received numerous emails about that paticular post that some people misunderstood, I was not BASHING SAFTEE ACID, I personally think its a wonderful product that I will always use for in my pickles. My post was about the effects of well water and saftee acid.

I received a Water Test from the town this morning, I have a copy of it and what they test for. I'm not much on reading the results so I will post it here and Anyone who knows about it can tell me if its safe to use for tanning and pickling.

Copper: 8 samples <0.25-0.32 ppm
Lead: 10 ppb
Nitrate: 3 samples <0.82-0.8-1.2 ppm
Flouride: 1.0 ppm
Sulfate: 61.0 ppm
Sodium: 16.0 ppm
Coliform Bacteria: 1 colony/100ml

Return to Tanning Category Menu

water tests

This response submitted by Bill Haynes on 01/26/2004. ( ) 216.130.152.51

Your test result does not reflect the PH. Ph is a measurement of
acidlty or alkalinity, with 7.0 being neutral. Anything less is acid, and anything above is alkaline.The PH of your water will have a small effect, as water with a low PH (acidic) will probably not require as much acid as water with a high PH.The minerals indicated by your test are present in such small amounts that they would probaby have no effect on your pickle. My well water has a PH of 6.8, which is slightly acidic. I have had no problems with my pickle.I use formic though.

well water

This response submitted by J. Randall on 01/27/2004. ( ) 216.176.168.42

I have not had any kind of test run on my well water other than my own ph test but my water is very alkaline (over 8) I used to use saftee acid in my pickle but it was a constant fight to keep the ph down to acceptable levels using my well water, I would get it adjusted down and within a couple of hours it was way back up there. finally got tired of messing with it and started using distilled water in my pickle and the ph drift stopped completely.

Return to Tanning Category Menu