PH Paper? 3 Companies~3 Answers

Submitted by Larry on 01/27/2004. ( Shootist220@wetv.net ) 209.240.205.61

Fellows I want to start outby saying that I have tanned fursand hides 42 years,so as far as experiene,I have it,,,why h why is PH paper so Questionable? I have three different papers and get three different answers? Larry,,Ps Please just straight answers,I make my living do this,,I just need good advice.thank you all

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Stick wit one brand.

This response submitted by John C on 01/27/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I stick with WASCO's because it work, has a good shelf life.

Now are you talking percentage of point? i.e. one brand says 2.8 and the other brand 2.2?

Maybe its your ware? Have taken something with a buffered known pH and tested each brand?

Because the PAPER is an inexact science

This response submitted by George on 01/27/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.169

The paper has been treated with chemicals that react to acidic and basic liquids. The amount of chemical saturating the papers can obviously change incrementally, but still remain in the same field of error. If you are looking for EXACT pH measurements, you need to buy more sophisticated equipment, but plan on spending higher sophisticated amounts of money on them.

correct range

This response submitted by cyclone on 01/28/2004. ( ) 129.43.43.200

Don't try to pH a solution that is acidic with a pH test strip that is designed to pH in the neutral or basic ranges. I like to use a paper designed for a wider range 2-10. Take just a drop of your solution and wet the paper with it as opposed to dipping the paper into the solution. Dipping will wash some of the chemical indicators out of the paper.

Return to Tanning Category Menu