Smoke To Achieve Coloring?

Submitted by Russ on 01/30/2004. ( ogemah@earthlink.net ) 171.75.244.100

1. After scaping/de-hairing/rinsing and streatch drying, my hides picked up some black particles from the ash/lime solution I used to slip the hair - can this just be sanded off or should I even worry about it?
2. Can the brains be rubbed into a dried hide or should the hide be re-wetted and wrung first? When I boil the brains, how much water should I add?
3. I'd like the hides to be a dark redish/brown color. Is their certain wood that I should use when smoking the hides?

Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

braintanning

This response submitted by Pa Trapper on 01/31/2004. ( ) 65.164.70.10

"After scaping/de-hairing/rinsing and streatch drying, my hides picked up some black particles from the ash/lime solution I used to slip the hair - can this just be sanded off or should I even worry about it?"

If they are just on the surface, they will come off by sanding later, if they are stains, you'll have to live with them. Try to keep charcoal out of the ash in the future, or use lye instead of ashes

2. "Can the brains be rubbed into a dried hide or should the hide be re-wetted and wrung first? When I boil the brains, how much water should I add?"

Eithor soak and wring or rehydrate in the brain solution, wring and start softening. I don't boil brains, just pulverize in the blender and add warm water. Add a gallon of water, or what you need to cover the hide. You don't say how much brain you are using?

3. "I'd like the hides to be a dark redish/brown color. Is their certain wood that I should use when smoking the hides?"

Dark colors come from longer smoking and a hotter fire, but keep a close eye for flareups. Check out the forum on braintan.com

Thanks Pa Trapper! - A couple More Questions Though

This response submitted by Russ on 01/31/2004. ( ) 171.75.226.53

How do you keep charcoal out of the ashes? I am using the brains of each animal for each hide.

russ

This response submitted by Pa Trapper on 01/31/2004. ( ) 65.164.70.10

You can pick out any black charcoal. I understand that it's best to use only the white ash. Try leaching the water through cheesecloth. I personally don't use ashes, because I often had some staining, plus I prefer to scrape the hide first, then "buck" it, and often don't buck them at all. If you use lye, use a weak solution, like a capful to a five gallon bucket of water.
With one brain per hide, you want as little water as possible. I would just add a dozen egg yolks to the mix, to make it go further. I use at least two deer brains to a hide, so my solution isn't too diluted.
Of course, there are about as many methods as there are braintanners

Return to Tanning Category Menu