Krowtann 2000 and room temperature

Submitted by Wayne on 01/30/2004. ( ) 155.247.222.50

Hi: I am finishing my first WT Deer cape using Krowtann 2000 and I was wondering if the extremely cold temps here in Pa. would necessitate some change in tanning time. The temp. in my garage is just a little above 32 degrees and the solution is very cold to the touch. A small cup of water placed in the area did not freeze so I know that much. Today is the 4th. day and normally would be taking it out of the solution. Otherwise I have followed all instructions including agitating daily. No mention is made by the manufacturer regarding the temperature of the solution. Thanks, Wayne

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I wish I'd have bought stock in that

This response submitted by George on 01/30/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.135

The product has had 154 entries already and people STILL don't know how to use it. Amazin.

Like everything else, right George?

This response submitted by JOhn C on 01/30/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I guess people just are not taught to do research or call the manufacter.

Seems everyon thinks thier problem is new and are willing to take almost any answer until its "not the Answer I was looking for." Like Epo-Grip some people have not read the directions according to thier post.

Oh, Stock was not offered for Krowtann,

NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY - DON"T SAY IT !

This response submitted by Wayne on 01/30/2004. ( ) 68.81.84.218

I have researched the archives and read the articles on Krowtann. No where did it say anything about the temperature of the solution. Getting in touch with the manufacturer at odd hours is not all that easy. If you Pompass Asses think that this is an intrusion on your valuable time then just don't answer the posting. Otherwise either give a descent answer or let someone else handle it.

Wayne

Hum lets see that was posted before 3:00pm Friday Jan. 30 04

This response submitted by John C on 01/30/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

At that time of day most business in the CST zone are open, I dont know if Ozark Woods was off today but I think someone might have been there.

I can drive over to the owners house and ask if needed.

Wayne take your sniveling whining, "I did not get my way" and shut to hell up.

Suck it up and be grown up about it.

No take you blanky and go cry in another room.

Anyone know the answer?

I am asking for advise from anyone who knows the answer to my question regarding the temperature of the solution. I would appreciate it if anyone can give me some advise. Is there anyway to get that bipolar John C censured? I thought responses were monitored. This guy might know some information but he is one sick SOB!

Wayne

temp

This response submitted by paul on 01/30/2004. ( ) 68.83.60.145

ive used the krow tan on a few capes in the extreme cold here in pa.
i use it mainly on small critters but when i get a iffy or questionable deer to do i get it in this stuff pronto. ive had no problems to date. i did one this past month for a comp. piece and i dont think we had a single day go over 20 degrees, the one thing i do is leave it in the 4 days instead of 3

OK - Since it's an Alum type of treatment........!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 01/30/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.172.43

OK - since it's an Alum type of treatment (it contains Ammonium Sulphate) then I guess like any other type of Alum - it should be used above 55 degrees. It's only a logical guess - but it should be pretty close.

john&george

This response submitted by wilson on 01/30/2004. ( ) 198.81.26.43

I don't know how some of the younger guys do searches; hell I'm not even the sharpest knife in here but i scrolled down a few days and WA-la, a post less then two weeks ago [temp for krowtann]with a nice answer from Bruce Rittel. " 1-18-2004"

Wayne maybe a nice bit of suck-up or a name change would be in order.

Thanks

Thanks to Paul and Bruce for the information. Wilson - perhaps some continuing education might help you to understand a question. I asked since the cape had ALREADY been in the cold solution should I adjust my tanning time to compensate for it. I saw Bruce's previous post but it did not answer my question. I like my name and intend to keep it. I have no idea who you are but you deserve no respect to approve "sucking up" to anyone so arrogant.

Wayne

Solutions and cold temps!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 01/30/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.172.43

I would not tan or attempt to treat anything under 55 degrees Fahrenhiet. Below 55 degrees chemicals begin to drop out of solution and you could lose the skins. That said - and supposing I was tanning at 60 degrees - then I would definitely allow a longer tanning time. If it says 3 days - I would go 4 days! Cold will slow it down.

If I was tanning 65 degrees or above - then the normal formula stated time should apply! If it says 3 days - go 3 days!

krowtann temp

This response submitted by anthony on 01/31/2004. ( ) 162.39.135.95

The temp, of the tan should be kept above freezing but there are some guys way up north that have used it in a unheated out buildings and
they havent had any problems but i dont think they left them out if it was below 20 deg. Also it will not hurt a thing to keep it in the tann a day or 2 longer to be on the safe side. If youve got a question
just call Ozark Woods even though you can only get them mon-thur you can leave a message on the machine.

Thanks to Bruce, Paul and Anthony

This response submitted by Wayne on 01/31/2004. ( ) 68.81.84.218

I left the cape in one extra day and a half (4.5)and even with the cold temperature of the solution it came out okay. Having received information from Paul and Anthony who either have their own personal experience with the situation or with others who do helped tremendously. This is how a forum should be run.

Thanks again,

Wayne

DEAR WAYNE

This response submitted by George on 01/31/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.135

You obviously don't know Wilson as he's not the "sucking up" kind. Obviously you're proof that "common sense" isn't that common anymore as the reply for your particular snippet of information COULD have been assumed from the larger answer. And the numbers of people who seem to be doing taxidermy in sub-zero shops is even more enlightening. Basic chemistry should have told you that EVERYTHING is effected by heat and cold. Don't you have other things, like paint that could be adversely effected? At the risk of sounding like Paul Czarnecki, don't you have a way to heat that place?

All the Academics in the world dont teach common sense.

This response submitted by John C on 01/31/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Wayne since you are so smart why did you not read the tanning archives? Yes your answer has been posted many times over. You just dont have enough common sense to read and understand.

If you did you would have read several of B.Rittels post tell the temps to tan at or risk the salt falling out of the solution. Lack of suspended chemicals in the soultion can change the effects of the same..

Chemicals attach to the salt and thats the rest of the story.

John C

This response submitted by Wayne on 01/31/2004. ( ) 68.81.84.218

I did read the tanning archives. The answer B. Rittels gave would have helped me if I had not already started. I needed an answer like I got from Paul and Anthony which told me what to expect from either their own personal experience or from others they know of. Otherwise, I would have only had left the option to throw the skin out. I happened to get this deer skin and I wanted to try to tan it -that's all. I am not a taxidermist as you probably already guessed, I do not have some hack shop in my garage, and I just wanted a little help and reassurance on a simple matter. With all your years of experience some things seem obvious to you from the outset. This is not my field of expertiece. I would never talk to another person who simple wanted advise the way you do. It has nothing to do with common sence - it has to do with teaching someone in an appropriate manner in the appropriate forum.

I'm willing to make-up if you all are. I just wanted to learn something.

Wayne

Return to Tanning Category Menu