Krowtann 2000 & TIDE

Submitted by Wayne on 01/28/2004. ( ) 155.247.222.76

Hi: The information with the Krowtann 2000 which I just purchased says to wash in liquid Tide. Does it have to be this or can I use the Dawn Liquid I wash everything else in? Also, why do you have to freeze the tanned hide if you do not mount it right away? Would it "spoil"? I thought tanning was supposed to prevent that. I have a deer hide which I am doing now in Krowtann 2000 and I wanted to make a simple blanket out of it for the kids, would I have to further preserve it and should it be oiled to make it supple? Thanks for any advise - I could not find any answers to these questions in the archives. Wayne

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Call Brian Harness

This response submitted by Kenneth on 01/28/2004. ( ) 164.58.213.120

Call Brian Harness at Ozark Woods in Harrison, AR. He can answer everyone of your questions.

Tide

This response submitted by Old Man on 01/28/2004. ( ) 63.241.157.113

I wash my mine in gain and it worked fine. The reason you freeze it is so you do not have to rehydrate when you are ready to mount it. since you want it as a rug or something you would not need to freeze it just let it dry flat. I never used Krowtann for a rug yet but it should work. Krowtann make a nice soft white leather.

God Bless

plan on breaking

This response submitted by paul on 01/28/2004. ( ) 68.83.60.145

if your going to let it dry, you better plan on oiling and breaking!
your not going to get a soft garment type tann by laying it out to just dry.

call brian and ask for his Krow oil

This response submitted by Joe Pycke on 01/28/2004. ( aewsfrzdry@yahoo.com ) 216.106.74.152

Brian sent us some krow oil for some hides that we were planning to just hang on the wall. You will need to break the skin and use his krow oil if you are going to use it for a rug. Tell him that Joe from Anthony Eddys said hello.

just call and ask

This response submitted by anthony on 01/29/2004. ( ) 166.102.25.32

The reason it calls for liquid tide is when it was being developed
thats what worked the best without efecting the amount of strech in the final product,also freezing the hide if your not ready to mount
keeps you from rehydrating an added step and time.If your wanting a
hide for a rug or something like that you'll need the Krow-oil,this goes on after the final fleshing then just follow the instructions
tha come with it. Any more questions just call Ozark Woods Mon-Thur
7AM-5;30PM cst 1-800-467-0369

Krotann 2000 & Tide THANKS

This response submitted by Wayne on 01/29/2004. ( ) 155.247.222.76

Thanks to all of you for the great advice. Now I understand regarding the freezing and I will call Ozark about their Krow Oil. Thanks again, Wayne

Return to Tanning Category Menu