Greetings from Japan. Deer head mounting

Submitted by Stu In Tokyo Japan on 01/31/2004. ( jabbaNOSPAM@masutoh.com ) 210.230.99.162

Greetings all!

I7m a Canadian living in Japan, I've hunted and got my share of deer before, but this time I've got a request from a friend who is setting up a pub in downtown Tokyo, the theme is Canadian, so some moutned deer heads with antlers seemed the way to go. My Japanese hunting buddy just got back from Hokkaido, and he brought two complete deer heads with him, they are fresh kill and nothing has been done to them except to remove the head from the deer. They are wrapped in plastic and in my large fridge (I run a liquor shop).

We want to mount one set of antler with out the head, and if possible I want to mount one complete head.

I understand that I have to take the skin off the skull, and remove as much meat as possible, then boil the skul in a solution (I got this before when I did another set of antlers last year) once that is done I need to remount the skin on to the head. I know that I must treat the skin some how, but I don't know how.

Can anyone offer me some advice on this whole project?

The option of taking it to a pro is not possible, first they would charge over $1000 and would take a long time!

Thanks in advance!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Order a video from one of the suppliers above....

This response submitted by Shann on 01/31/2004. ( ) 143.183.121.1

or go on ebay and buy one for a couple hundred dollars. It sounds like you shouldn't be mounting a deer for customers with your knowledge. Just my .02!

Man oh man

This response submitted by Superpig on 01/31/2004. ( ) 198.81.26.43

This is a train wreck waiting to happen. You better learn about taxidermy some before you attempt anything. Sounds like you don't have a clue. First take that deer out of your liquor fridge and put it in a freezer. Then go and learn how to mount a deer right. It is not going to be learned in a day though. There is a whole lot more to it then just boil skull and slap skin on. Get ready for several weeks of good solid reading in the archives.

Return to Tanning Category Menu