bear turned to rubber

Submitted by steve on 01/31/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.198

I have a black bear that I am tanning out myself and I am trying to degrease it. After using Knoblochs degreaser, the hide seems to be extremely rubberized. I have already washed the hide with a detergent following the degreasing process. What can I do to try and reverse the fact that it now feels like rubber? Should I try to place the hide back in the pickle? I would appreciate any suggestions that may help.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

whaaat?

This response submitted by Mark Hassler on 01/31/2004. ( Delamar820@hotmail.com ) 198.81.26.41

Hey now,why in the world would you buy some hopped up concoction to degrese when kerosene works just as well as anything.Yes it leaves the skin feeling slightly "rubbery" but a thourogh wash w/water(cold) and borax/detergent followed by a rinse gets you where you need to be.Don't freak,this stuff is fun if you let yerself enjoy it.Good luck to ya' podna,Delamar820@hotmail.com(Mark Hassler).

steve

This response submitted by wilson on 01/31/2004. ( ) 198.81.26.41

If you do it quick enough, a heavy solution of salt water will bring it back.
I call that acid swell.

KEROSENE?

This response submitted by George on 02/01/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.166

Now there's a novel approach to ruining a bear. Instead of a wet dog, it now smells like a bag lady. Stay away from the solvents and stick with the degreasers, steve. You didn't mention the tanning agent you were using, nor the methods, but I'd suspect one or both of them in the condition if wilson's suggestion isn't right.

kerosene? Oil on grease, haha

This response submitted by JOhn C on 02/01/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Not something I would do nor anyone else with half a brain.

You could never wash the kerosene ouot.

Get the hide in salt water now and stir it!

Do you not trust Knoblocks product? Its a fricken degreaser!

What detergent did you wash it in after Knoblochs?

Thats your problem!

It's called "Acid Swellin"!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/01/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.171.122

Place it immediately in a Salt solution (use 1 Lb./Gl. or simply put it in your pickle again) and within about 20 minutes the condition will go away.

Skins that are acidic in the range of 0-3.5 PH will swell like this in the absence of Salt - which prevents such swelling! That's why it's used in pickling solutions and to a lesser degree in tanning solutions - just in case!

Return to Tanning Category Menu