Question For Bruce,Or George,or John C

Submitted by Larry on 02/01/2004. ( Shootist220@webtv.net ) 209.240.205.61

Fellows,I just learned how to use a fleshing machine last year.As you know as posted I have tanned most of my life.Question is I tanned 1/2 of a Black Angus that was free to me 3 years ago and I never ever had the chance to THIN him...Leather was tanned with
Knoblochs Tex Tan 77,What proceedure would you suggest I use in order to thin him? Larry

Never done this type thing so asking the best in the business!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Hmm

This response submitted by George on 02/01/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.134

A good shaving machine will shave dry tanned leather as I use it on occasion to thin the leather hangers for dead duck mounts, HOWEVER, I'd sweat it overnight just like any dry tan and then shave it the next day. Three years is a long time, however, and if the tan had any flaws, you may have hair falling out. And for cow leather, I hope you ate your spinach, cause if you ain't Popeye, you will be.

Don't dry shave it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/02/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.171.221

Don't dry shave it - do like George suggested. Rehydrate it and then shave it. Shaving a tanned skin is sometimes tough on the blade - so keep your tuning steels handy to keep it sharpened! Also - beware of hard spots - they can pull the skin into the blade! Make sure the skin or cape is fully relaxed.

Return to Tanning Category Menu