salt drying time

Submitted by N. Ingham on 02/02/2004. ( ) 24.72.70.83

Good evening, Do I need to let my salted beavers dry out completely, with the salt, or can I re-hydrate them now (they are half dry) and start them in the acid pickle.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

salty beaver

This response submitted by n on 02/02/2004. ( ) 152.163.252.130

i salt my beavers for 3 days then i pickel them for 2 day's shave and degrease pickel 1 more day then i neutralize and tanning

works great for me

If they've stopped dripping water....

This response submitted by George on 02/02/2004. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.79

Put them in the pickle. Completely dried hides serve no useful purpose other than bulk long term storage. If you're tanning, once the water is all removed from the skin, you can pickle.

salting

This response submitted by Laurier on 02/03/2004. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.245

why would you flesh out a skin salt it dry it all out then rehydrate it ? This is what I do and i NEVER lose a skin
In the pickle and ALUM the alum will cook the fat,meat to the skin
and the next day you can flesh it.
I am in Canada our gallon is larger.
45 gal water
45 lbs salt
1 litter of FORMIC acid
4 lbs Alum
Be sure all salt and alum is properly disolved place skin in pickle
and stir well
After skin is in pickle and well stired ( DO NOT TOUCH ) alum will settle on skin and cook the fat,
you can leave 1/4 " of meat on the skin with no problem.
The next day take skin out of pickle,drain and flesh,at this point if you have any pinkish spots put it in the pickle only properly pickled.
BEFORE IT GOES TO YOUR TANNING NATRALISE THE ACID FROM THE SKIN
And questions you can call me at (705)476-0483

salting

This response submitted by Laurier on 02/03/2004. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.245

why would you flesh out a skin salt it dry it all out then rehydrate it ? This is what I do and i NEVER lose a skin
In the pickle and ALUM the alum will cook the fat,meat to the skin
and the next day you can flesh it.
I am in Canada our gallon is larger.
45 gal water
45 lbs salt
1 litter of FORMIC acid
4 lbs Alum
Be sure all salt and alum is properly disolved place skin in pickle
and stir well
After skin is in pickle and well stired ( DO NOT TOUCH ) alum will settle on skin and cook the fat,
you can leave 1/4 " of meat on the skin with no problem.
The next day take skin out of pickle,drain and flesh,at this point if you have any pinkish spots put it in the pickle only properly pickled.
BEFORE IT GOES TO YOUR TANNING NATRALISE THE ACID FROM THE SKIN
And questions you can call me at (705)476-0483

I'm wondering too?

This response submitted by Steve on 02/03/2004. ( ) 216.129.231.7

I've always let my capes dry out rock hard in the salting process (however long it takes), then rehydrate. I was told this will really help set the hair. But then again, I know a lot of guys who don't do this. Some only salt for 24 hours or so and then pickle. So, what's best? Aren't you taking a chance by not letting them dry out completely? Set me straight on this one. I've only done it the one way, with good success. But then again, if there is a quicker easier way, I'm willing to listen....Thanks, Steve

quiker easier way

This response submitted by Laurier on 02/06/2004. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.76

a quiker easier way did you not read the posting just before your's
try it you will not regreat it,I've been doing it like this for years and I never loss a hide.Need help call me (705)476-0483

Return to Tanning Category Menu