Borax-water solution to thaw beaver skin?

Submitted by Lisa on 02/05/2004. ( ) 67.72.209.84

I have inherited a beaver skin with tail to flesh and tan. The individual who gave it to me had the skin balled up in a plastic garbage bag in the freezer. The bag and skin have been sitting out for 13 hours, and obviously is still rock hard. I know that soaking the skin in water to speed up the thawing process would be dangerous for bacteria growth. Can I soak the skin in a borax-water solution to aid thawing? If not, I have a small bag of something called "instant preserve" from Van Dyke's. Would this be good to use? Pardon me, but this is my first skin to work with and I need some direction. thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

dont use anything

This response submitted by lee wolford on 02/05/2004. ( wolford3488@yahoo.com ) 170.224.224.134

dont use anything, give it time it will thaw. borax has a high ph and could cause you some real damage. just be patient and wait!
lee

beaver

This response submitted by fred on 02/05/2004. ( ) 205.188.208.167

the best way to thaw it is like you said but not dry preserve if you use that you wont be able to control the skin the way you should the best way i think is to mix a solution of basacryl and water

use 1/8oz. to a gallon of cool water this way your fighting and killing the germ's and bacteria that causes rot,slippage (ect)

if not avaliable go get some concentrated lysol that's what bruce Rittel told me one time use add 2oz. to a gallon of cool water.

well i hope this helped you, good luck fred

How long can it sit out safely?

This response submitted by lisa on 02/05/2004. ( ) 67.72.207.50

How long can I let it sit out safely? I may not get a chance to work with it again for a couple of days. Lisa

Unroll it as it thaws.

This response submitted by John C on 02/05/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

You need to unroll the hide as it thaws. FUR IS A INSULATOR, Keeps heat out and cold in.

I often thaw hide under running water, then tumble it to remove the water.

Hey Fred!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/05/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.171.75

I think you have your people mixed up. I never tell anyone to use Lysol! It don't work. It also has a PH of 9.5!

Sorry - but it had to be someone else. I hardly use any Bacteriacide - and especially not Lysol.

As for thawing - wait it out - what's the hurry? I've never had a problem - that required soaking! But then I also never roll stuff up - I always fold it before freezing.

Hang it up

This response submitted by Laurier on 02/09/2004. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.32

Lisa: just hang it up. Every thing that you are going to skin ,tan,mount hang it up form the seilling from a rope and let the weight of the skin unrole it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu