nuetralizing ph

Submitted by trt on 02/05/2004. ( ) 204.91.206.235

what's the ph of the hide or nuetralizing bath when you nuetralize? I'm going to be using baking soda, out of a formic pickle. thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

nuetralize

This response submitted by fred on 02/05/2004. ( ) 64.12.96.79

my method is the same as your safty acid (bruce Rittel)

the ph should read 6 or 7 if you can't read that high with your ph paper it should turn a ugly pea green or darker the skin should also be white after you pickle and nuetralize

Hum I dont go to 7.

This response submitted by John C on 02/05/2004. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I bring the ph up to the level required by the tanning agent, normally not over 4.5 to 5. Some tanning agents may require different pH levels but Lutan is 4.5 to 5.

Maybe by saying neutralize thats whats causing so many people to lose capes.

Later when I mount the hide, if its a bit tight just brush on some baling soda and water to the flesh side and in a few minutes its fine.

Neutralizing (or Basifying)!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/05/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.171.75

When you mix your neutralizing solution using Baking Soda - it will probably read about 7.9 PH depending on the PH of your local water. When you put the Saftee Acid pickled skins into it and wash them in it - for 20-30 minutes - you will notice that the skins that were once at a 1.5 PH are now at a 4.5-5.0 Ph..

Dont try to test them for a skin surface PH though! It wont work! You will only measure the outer surface - while the inner layers of collegan will be at a much lower PH - like a 3.5 PH. This is good. The tanning agent will then first bond to the lower inside of the flesh and tan outwards to where the PH is higher. By the way - this is all assuming you will be tanning using EZ-100.

Leaving you skins over 20-30 minutes in the Neutralizing Bath is not good. Unlike leather where they want complete neutralization over 2-6 hours - we dont! It would pulp and weaken the epidermal layer of skin where the hair roots are.

PS - Sorry - Formic will neutralize much the same!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/05/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.171.75

Sorry - I used Saftee Acid as an example - but the same applies to using Formic Acid!

thanks Bruce

This response submitted by trt on 02/05/2004. ( ) 66.133.174.203

thanks alot Bruce, you're a great asset to this site and to all the taxidermy world. God Bless.

Return to Tanning Category Menu