not sand, am I right?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Another Thought

This response submitted by Just Me on 02/06/2004. ( ) 64.126.189.104

Once salt is disolved into water the only way it can be separated is
by evaporation. This "falling out" thing makes absolutely no sense at
all. Think about it people?

Think of it this way!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/06/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.171.107

If the Northern Oceans are always cold - there is very Salt dissolved in them in the first place. Warmer waters would obviously dissolve a larger amount of Salt. So - it stands to reason that the Arctic Ocean freezes while the Caribbean Sea - simply doesnt or even wouldnt - even if it had a sudden cold snap! And no - there is not a layer of Salt in the Arctic Ocean bottom! When it thaws - dont try to swim there - for obvious reasons! First of all - it's too cold (all year) and secondly you wont float very well!

Warm water will dissolve and hold a large amount of Salt. As it becomes colder - its capacity to hold this Salt decreases. And - it either crystallizes in the hair of your skins or falls to the bottom of your solution. Try it! It works! But - you may lose your skins!

Experiment...basic chemistry

This response submitted by Christina Jones on 02/06/2004. ( iluvnails@aol.com ) 205.188.208.169

Try putting as much salt as you can dissolve in a warm glass of water...then try to dissolve the same amount of salt in a cold glass of water.....

You will find that you wont be able to do it...that is called SATURATION. The saturation levels change dramatically from hot to cold, whether you are talking H2O and NaCl, or any other solvent/solute combination. Basic chemistry :) Take it from one who has had crystallization on a cape :)

Christina

Not Quite Right

This response submitted by Old Fart on 02/06/2004. ( ) 64.122.57.115

Cold Water is capable of holding MORE oxygen than warm water. That is why the cold currents sweeping from the poles toward the equator are rich in plankton and thus attracting larger froms of sea life.

Oxygen and dissolved salt act differently though

This response submitted by PA on 02/06/2004. ( ) 24.3.205.80

Cold water will not hold as much salt as warm water - but I am sure it would hold enough for tanning/pickling.
Ocean water however isn't even close to saturated in salt so therefore the floor of the ocean is not covered in salt. The great salt lake isn't even completely saturated and it is a lot stronger solution than the ocean.

Agreed, to a point...

This response submitted by Christina Jones on 02/07/2004. ( iluvnails@aol.com ) 152.163.252.134

I have to say that I do agree that water probably does hold enough for pickling/tanning when it is cold, but I have had one instance when a deer hide was in the pickle for a couple of weeks, held at a pretty cool temperature (probably averaged 45 degrees..), where the salt did crystallize on the cape. Really though, I got a good tan out of the whole thing, it didnt seem to affect that at all. Nice soft stretchy EZ100 :)

Agreed, to a point...

This response submitted by Christina Jones on 02/07/2004. ( iluvnails@aol.com ) 152.163.252.134

I have to say that I do agree that water probably does hold enough for pickling/tanning when it is cold, but I have had one instance when a deer hide was in the pickle for a couple of weeks, held at a pretty cool temperature (probably averaged 45 degrees..), where the salt did crystallize on the cape. Really though, I got a good tan out of the whole thing, it didnt seem to affect that at all. Nice soft stretchy EZ100 :)

Return to Tanning Category Menu