Salting Question

Submitted by Rebecca on 02/10/2004. ( woodlandtrophies@aol.com ) 64.12.96.198

I have read through the forum & have found a few possible solutions to my questions. I live in NY (just south of Buffalo) needless to say, it is quite cold here right now.. anywho I have a deer hide salting in my garage/workshop. There is no heat in there, but it is warmer then outside. Here is my problem: I have built a salt box, with door to keep critters out, I have had the hide salted & resalted for 2 1/2 days now & it doesnt seem to be drying at all. In some areas, it is (edges & face) but the majority it is not. I have noticed the hair is starting to become wet, so moisture is getting pulled out, but not fast enough. I am afraid it may spoil on me. Also, this baffles me a bit, in areas the hide is getting a blueish tint to it o.O I have never seen this happen, is it normal or the sign of something bad to happen? If you have any suggestions to help dry this faster, please let me know. I may be able to sneak it into my basement to dry, but with the woodstove I fear it may be too hot(that & my husband would not be too pleased hehe). What would you do in my situation?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

New salt

This response submitted by Mark on 02/10/2004. ( mark@knoblochs.com ) 67.106.41.88

After the 2 days shake off wet salt and resalt with plenty of new salt.It can take a few days, Idealy you want a little heat to help rid of any humidity. You can place a fan in their to help circulate the air this will help in drying as well. If you have a electric heater and the garage is not too big that will help as well.

Thanks Mark! But....

This response submitted by Rebecca on 02/10/2004. ( woodlandtrophies@aol.com ) 205.188.208.172

Unfortunatly I don't think a fan will help much. I am gonna move it down into the basement, but curious if 70-80 degrees will be too hot. There is no humidity down there, just very dry hot air. I could move it into my shop inside the house, but still it will be approx. 70 degrees. What ya think, or any other peeps got their suggestions? Thanks to all in advance for your help =)

Another NYer

This response submitted by jer on 02/10/2004. ( ) 68.171.167.133

I gave up trying. The wife threatened to leave if I brought them in. Heating a -20 garage would break me financially, so I sent mine to Dodge City Cape, Hide & Skull, just over the NY border in PA. They turn and salt for $25, then take them to East Coast for you or return them.

It should work okay

This response submitted by Steve on 02/11/2004. ( ) 216.220.22.29

70 degress should be okay. Don't get you hide to close to the wood stove though. I often salt my hides out in a cold garage for a few days, and then bring them down into my basement to finish drying them. They turn out fine....Steve

Take it inside

This response submitted by Hovice the Novice on 02/11/2004. ( ) 216.175.44.166

I had this happen to me this year. Had the cape in the garage for about a week. Salted, re-salted then draining and draining but it did not want to really dry hard like I wanted it to. I took it down to the basement and it totally dried out in a day and a half.

Hope this helps,

Mr. Novice

I do all mine in the winter months

This response submitted by david on 02/11/2004. ( ) 12.158.132.243

I just turn and salt all my cpaes i get in the fall and winter so i dont have to wory about warm temps. by time spring comes around they are off at the tannery and summer i mount them al when they return. In your case Juts take it out of the salt and hang it up with a fan on both sides of it blowing on it so that air circualtes.... you will be amazeda at how much faster it dries when air can get to it..

Thank you all for your help =)

This response submitted by Rebecca on 02/11/2004. ( woodlandtrophies@aol.com ) 152.163.252.136

I took all the advice given to me & hung it down in the back of the basement, away from woodstove. It's drying beautifully! Guess the garage will just have to be used in the warmer months. Did I mention how much I hate the cold -.-
=D Thank you again,
Rebecca

Return to Tanning Category Menu