LiquaTan Procedures/Need Help

Submitted by Tom on 02/08/2004. ( TomBuck222@aol.com ) 205.188.208.167

I am new to this.I just need to know the proper procedure from start to finish on tanning deer hides for mounting. I currently have LiquaTan products.I have tanned hides with them before, but i have never pickled them. Can someone straighten me out on this? Any response is greatly appreciated!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

this works for me

This response submitted by migda's taxidermy on 02/08/2004. ( ljmigda@hotmail.com ) 208.252.179.31

Here's my procedure for liqua-tanning capes. This has worked for me on several hundred deer,elk,caribou...etc,etc. I remove most of the flesh and fat, split and turn everything,remove ear cartilage. Salt and let hang to drain for two days {resalt again after first day}. Submerge in a pickle for at last three days..keeping ph at 2 or less {i think around 1.5 is ideal}. I pull from pickle and neautralize with baking soda {sodium bi-carb} for around 15-30 minutes depending on size or thickness of hide. I rinse out bi-carb and spin dry hide in my washing machine, re-shave entire cape as evenly as possible. I then apply liqua-tan fairly generously, roll cape up and either refrigerate overnite to mount the next day, or freeze and mount later. I prefer freezing and mounting later, also before freezing i let liqua-tan soak in for a few hours. I then pull from freezer and wash with kemal 4 and tumble and mount. On greasy specimans like boar,bear..etc. i also degrease before washing. This method works very well for me.

Return to Tanning Category Menu