NEED HELP correst mixture for lutan-f.

Submitted by jamie on 02/08/2004. ( ) 66.205.123.200

O.K I AM IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING LUTAN-F AND I HAVE FOUND DIFFRENT RECIPES. ONE STATES 1OZ OF LUTAN PER POUNDOF HIDE,3QTS OF WATER,1 CUP OF SALT WITH A PH OF 3.5 TO 4.0 AND TO LEAVE IN SOLUTION FOR ABOUT 48 HRS. WHEN I GOT THE LUTAN IN THE RECOMMENED DIRECTIONS STATED TO SIMPLY ADD 2OZ OF LUTAN PER GALLON OF WATER (10 OZ/ 5GAL WATER) AND TO LEAVE IN SOLUTION FOR 16-18 HRS. THIS IS A HUGE DIFFRENCE IN MIXTURES. CAN SOME ONE GIVE SOME ADVISE?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Don't use capital letters.......

This response submitted by Chris on 02/08/2004. ( ) 66.168.129.178

it means your shouting and it is hard to read. That being said. The mix we use is 1 oz of Lutan-f for every 1 lb of wet, drained hide. We adjust water volume to cover the skin completely when being tanned, but for every 1 gallon of water used add 1/2 lb of salt. Most skins will tan completely in 16-18 hours unless they are very thick skinned. Don't tan longer than 24 hours maximum as you will begin to lose stretch in your skin.

Chris

Follow the directions recommended!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/08/2004. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 171.75.172.62

The directions you say you recieved with the Lutan F should be the right one! Or at least its the one I've used. It's also the same one that BASF (the manufacturer) recommends.

1 Gallon of Water
2 Ozs. of Lutan F (N)
6 Ozs. of Salt
PH = 4.0

Leave your skins in 16-18 hours.

Conflicting info.

This response submitted by Steve on 02/08/2004. ( ) 216.220.22.49

The directions vary from place to place. I've done it both ways. Right now I mix two ounces of Lutan F and a cup of salt per gallon of water. I leave deer capes in about 24 hours. I think it was the old WASCO directions that came with their Lutan F that recommended 48 hours of soaking and less Lutan F. It did seem to work okay with that mixture, but I haven't tested it extensively...Steve1

Return to Tanning Category Menu