First time using wet tan

Submitted by Dave on 02/14/2004. ( schaffer4@lrbcg.com ) 65.117.121.206

I am going to be doing a full mount bear using a commercial wet tanned hide. My question is this. I've had the hide in the freezer until I got the time to mount it. Once thawed is there anything I have to do to the hide before mounting such as re-wetting or rehydrating or anything on that order. I've taken the hide out of the freezer and am going to test fit before actually mounting. Can the hide be refrozen in case the form has to be altered and I don't get to mounting it until next weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I usually

This response submitted by Mark H on 02/14/2004. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.205.18

Try the cape or hide on as soon as it is thawed out to see how close everything fits. I then do all the prep work on the hide. After the prep work I do a light wash and rinse and try on again. Sometimes the hide may fit a little too tight and after prepping, washing, and rinsing you get a little more stretch out of the hide for a better fit (unless the form is just too big).

If the form needs altering I sweat the hide while I'm doing the alterations on the form. If I'm not going to get to it for a week or so then go ahead and re-freeze. The hide is tanned and your not going to hurt it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu