help with tanning buffalo hide

Submitted by shannon m. on 02/16/2004. ( ) 207.177.71.215

I have recently acquired a raw buffalo hide and wish to tan it hair on for a flat rug. The hide is dry with fat/flesh still on it, and i want to rehydrate it so i can flesh it on my fleshing wheel. What is the best way to do this? I am planning on useing ultra soft relaxer by Rittel. Also, after fleshing/salting, i plan to pickle the hide in a formic acid pickle, the same formula i use to tan my deer capes. After that i plan to use liqua tan by knobloch. This works great for tanning deer capes for shoulder mounts, but will this work for flat rugs? I have not tanned anything but deer capes and have never made a flat rug, will this work? Sorry for being so long winded, but i want to make sure i am doing things right before putting a great deal of effort into this project, and screw up. thanks to anyone who can help!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Are you a bodybuilder?

This response submitted by heh on 02/16/2004. ( ) 216.144.8.85

A bison hide weighs 100-200 pounds soaking wet. You're going to flesh it on your fleshing wheel? Then tan a half inch thick skin with a paint on tan? Ooh, I can see great results in this crystal ball. Have fun!

I'd send it out if I were you.

Those 50 dollar eBay bison hides are really just 400 dollar bison hides in disguise.

what's your problem?

This response submitted by shannon m. on 02/17/2004. ( ) 66.43.204.78

Very professional response heh. I came on this site to learn about tanning a buffalo hide. I know I could send it off to a tannery, but I wish to tan it myself. Your reply has taught me nothing, and you have wasted my time reading your sarcastic reply. Is there anyone out there who has actually tanned a buffalo hide besides this crystal ball gazer? I guess on a web site such as this you have to expect some retarded replies from dinks who's only agenda is to ridicule others. Thanks for nothing heh.

Buffalo are tough

This response submitted by Ron on 02/17/2004. ( rktaxi@wbsnet.org ) 204.249.178.21

I would encourage you to send it to a commercial tannery. Buffalo are very thick and very heavy. Just getting them ready to go to the tannery is more work than I want to do, I quit handling them several years ago.

Are you set up for large skins?

This response submitted by Lonestar on 02/17/2004. ( ) 12.76.236.194

Shannon,
If you have the equipment to soak a bison hide in, then you may have a shot at it. I would use a different tanning method other than Liqua-Tan though. Knoblochs may have what you need. The key to thinning bison hides is to remove as many layers as possible BEFORE the tanning solution is used. Are you good with the fleshing wheel? This is a very heavy hide and difficult to maneuver. Then the oiling, drying, drumming, and combing sawdust out of the hair starts. Good Luck with the hide!

Return to Tanning Category Menu