fleshing question

Submitted by wj on 02/16/2004. ( . ) 4.76.19.172

I have searched and have not been able to find the answers.I am looking to buy a flesher to help speed up the rough fleshing stage only. I am sending the capes to the tanner. Fist off,what would be better for this a large flesher or the mini-air flesher?Do these work well for this task? What kind of time savings would I be looking at?I currently do this by hand,it takes about 1 1/2 depending on if I cape it or the client does.Lastly do you remove the red meat,salt once then flesh or flesh it green? Thank You for your time to those that respond....

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Mini-flesher..

This response submitted by Shann on 02/17/2004. ( davistaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 68.35.191.182

I personally think the mini-flesher would be better and cheaper. I just bought a used (like brand new) one for $120 with a extra blade. This is a lot cheaper that a large flesher but will NOT thin your hide. I use it strickly to prep my hides for salt. If you do not have it set up right it will grab the hide or cut it. I had a vet. taxidermist show me how and love it! I can do a green WT in about 5-10 min. If you decide to get one and need help setting it up feel free to contact me. Hope this helps!

Get a fleshing beam

This response submitted by Steve on 02/17/2004. ( ) 216.129.231.7

Deer will flesh easily with a scraping knife and fleshing beam. This would be a lot cheaper than the other two fleshing tools you mentioned for rough fleshing of green capes.

Return to Tanning Category Menu