What precautions should I take with saftee acid

Submitted by Richard on 02/18/2004 at 23:02. ( ) 67.75.60.44

I am currently using saftee acid and McKenzie tan to tan my hides
what are the health risks and precaustions I need to take.
I wear gloves, but do I need a mask of some kind or not.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Use gloves...

This response submitted by Griz on 02/18/2004 at 23:42. ( ) 69.66.85.18

Use gloves and try not to drink any of it. I think that the safety precautions are clearly printed right on the label. No eye contact, yada yada yada... The acid won't eat holes in clothing, at least not after it is mixed and i personally use a bare hand to poke my hides down in the pickle(not that i recommend it) but i am sure to wash it soon afterwards and not to put it in my eyes. It is by far the safest acid on the market.

It's considered safe.......but!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/19/2004 at 10:07. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.155

Even though it's probably one of the safer acids available - nevertheless you should still treat it with respect. Acids have a low PH. Otherwise they do not pickle well. With Saftee Acid if you are exposed to it pure - you must still wash it off or risk a burn later - but unlike other acids - it will give you 5 minutes to get to a sink. It's always wise to wear glasses or goggles when you handle acids - any acid. That way you avoid splashes to your eyes. And if you have a low threshold for allergies - it's wise to wear gloves around any acid and when handling the pickled skins. Saftee Acid does not evaporate - so there will be no fumes in your shop to contend with. It also biodegrades fully within 2 weeks into fertilizer if its spilled.

Return to Tanning Category Menu