Tanning Air Dried Skins?

Submitted by Steve on 02/19/2004 at 10:15. ( 4anders@nemontel.net ) 216.129.231.7

Everything I've tanned up to this point has been salt dried. If you had an air-dried coyote, what would be best? Could you put it right into a pickle to rehydrate it? Or should you rehydrate it in a water and salt solution first? Can you by-pass the salting step? I imagine you could rehydrate it and then salt it for a few days, and then put it into the pickle. Or would all these methods work? So anyhow, I was just wondering what you would do? Thanks, Steve

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Coyotes are easy

This response submitted by and plentiful on 02/19/2004 at 10:50. ( ) 216.144.8.151

If you mess up you can always buy a new one.

Anyway, you must rehydrate any dried skin first. Air or salt, it doesn't matter.

All dried skins must first be rendered "rehydrated raw" before they can pickle down.

There is just one small exception. If you have extremely thin skin, such as a sliver of test-leather from a pelt, or something like a vole or mouse - not a chipmunk or squirrel. Those you can toss dried, right in to the pickle, and they will rehydrate fine. If it has any thickness at all though, rehydrate first.

rehydrate

This response submitted by eric on 02/19/2004 at 12:56. ( b ) 216.114.124.121

yes, best to rehydrate or most often called relax, first. if not you will set the blood color in your leather and you will never fully remove it. there are many receipes out there and bruce has some of the best. he can help you if you ask him.
eric

Return to Tanning Category Menu