Gases from pickling?

Submitted by Justin on 02/19/2004 at 20:11. ( ) 209.159.236.30

I put a garbage can of pickilng with formic acid in my basement(I'm currently working out of the home)and was wondering if there is anything I should be concerned with like any gases created by the mixture and if so would it hurt to put the lid on?

Return to Tanning Category Menu


You can find more information on the web.

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 02/19/2004 at 23:18. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 67.200.29.96

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/FO/formic_acid.html


lid on

This response submitted by eric on 02/20/2004 at 00:26. ( beartrapman@webtv.net ) 216.114.124.121

yes, keep lid on. it will not hurt the pickeling processees.
eric


Formic is evaporative!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/20/2004 at 01:41. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.136

Formic is evaporative - and it's wise to keep a lid on your pickle to reduce it.


Formic is somewhat volatile

This response submitted by cyclone on 02/20/2004 at 08:12. ( ) 129.43.43.200

i.e. it will evaporate into the air, although not as much as some other acids such as HCl (Hydrochloric, or muratic) or acetic (the acid in vinegar). Its volatility is reduced; however, when mixed with water, due to hydrogen bonding and dissociation.

Keeping a lid on the pickle will cut down on the evaporative process but keep in mind that good ventilation is still strongly recommended! What happens when you take the lid off? All those vapors are now in the air. Other gasses can and do form as a result of the pikcling and tanning process as well..Carbon Dioxide and ,perhaps even more of a concern, formaldehyde. Ventilate.


Return to Tanning Category Menu