reusing relaxing bath ?

Submitted by tj on 02/20/2004 at 11:39. ( ) 24.55.161.249

can you resuse your relaxing bath,or is it best to make up a new bath

Return to Tanning Category Menu

New batch each time.

This response submitted by John C on 02/20/2004 at 12:39. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Its fine to put several hides in the same bath at the same time. But if you are going to use it later in the day you may run into bacterial growth, this will cause slippage.

If you think a bath is to costly to throw away, remember this,
"IT COST MONEY TO MAKE MONEY"

Being a tight wad about tanning and pickling is going to cost you money.

reusing

This response submitted by eric on 02/20/2004 at 15:01. ( beartrapman@webtv.net ) 216.114.124.121

one advantage to making a new solution. [it really does not cost much] is i like to watch the color and fluid changes. i try to learn what chemical procesees are going on in front of my eyes. like laying out a new trap line. learning is 3/4 of the fun!
eric

thanks guys

This response submitted by tj on 02/20/2004 at 15:22. ( ) 24.55.161.249

it wasnt so much as waisting money,but if it is still reusible why waste it,but no problem i can just make another bath,i wasnt talking about using it a week down the road but as soon as i pulled the other hides from it

TJ

This response submitted by re-use on 02/20/2004 at 16:37. ( ) 216.144.8.101

You *could* re-use your solution IF you had added twice the bacteriacide that is recommended, BUT... why risk it?

My rehydration baths usually double as cleaning baths, which means if I want to re-use it, I will be putting "clean" skins into a "dirty" solution. If you are tanning opossums or something else that costs 2 dollars a skin, go for it, why not? If it's worth any amount of money though - deer capes are always more then 2 dollars!, then 50 cents of salt and 10 cents of water (x amount of cents of whatever else you throw in) and 10 minutes of your time spent mixing, won't kill you.

PLUS rehydration should be warm, so if you wait a day and add skins next day, surely it will be cold, and your second batch will take longer to rehydrate, and be "dirty" the whole time?

I would not do it if I were you.

Return to Tanning Category Menu