proper way to liqua-tan

Submitted by Eric on 02/20/2004 at 18:47. ( www.Magee@Pathway.net ) 205.188.208.167

The taxidermy school I went to taught us to double salt,safetee acid pickle, shave,pickle, neutralize, liqua-tan over night or 6 hours of so. Then we would shampoo, spin in washer, dry in dryer on AIR till hair was dry or slightly damp,then mount.
The liqua-tan bottle says to let the tan soak in, occasionally stretching the skin then mount OR let dry at least 5 days, then rehydrate and mount.
We were told that when we shampooed that the tan would not wash out. I have not had any problems and the instructors know what they are doing, but I would like to get some opinions as to how you all do it. I'm tanning some squirrels now and curious as to the best way to go about it. Thanks a lot. Eric

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Eric

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 02/20/2004 at 19:38. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.209.235.92

Your are doing things just fine but I would leave it on for 16 hours. I leave it on over night and then shampoo and mount. I usually tan it in the morning, get the form ready and by the next day I'm ready to go.
Alsi it doesn't was out unless you use boiling hot water and a heavy detergent.

thanks Frank

This response submitted by Eric on 02/20/2004 at 19:42. ( ) 64.12.116.197

Frank,
Thanks for the help. I'm from Pennsylvania,too. Maybe I'll meet you at a show in the near future. Thanks again.
Eric

Return to Tanning Category Menu