syn-tan ?

Submitted by Dan P on 02/21/2004 at 08:56. ( ) 205.188.208.167

After I brush on the syn-tan how long should it sit folded,and should it be in the fridge while it is soaking in.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Difficult to answer!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 02/21/2004 at 09:36. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.139.145

Your question is very vague - there are many Syn-Tans out there - but only a few suitable for tanning. However - any of them - once oiled, they should be placed somewhere warm - not cold - to soak up the oil. Cold would retard taking up the oil. Avoid it.

Bruce

This response submitted by Dan P on 02/21/2004 at 09:47. ( ) 205.188.209.105

I am using the tanning kit that has saftee acid with syn-oil tan from van-dykes,they dont give you any instuctions. The cape is for a w/t mount,after its pickled,neutalized,rinsed,should the cape and oil be room temp before appling it,should i leave it at room temp over night then put it in a bag to sweat it before i mount it.Thanks for your help!

it depends....

This response submitted by Griz on 02/21/2004 at 16:54. ( ) 69.66.87.145

Van Dykes syn-oil tan claims you can brush it on and mount it right away, how ever most people don't do that. I pickle and rinse etc, then let drip dry or wrap it in a towel and let it the excess moisture escape from the skin side, then i heat my oil up in a microwave and pour it on then work it in the cape with a gloved hand and then i let it sit over night with hair side out, to let the hair start drying a bit. then i apply the oil again the next day and mount it after the second application of oil. Just remember a cold cape will not be effedted by the oil as well as a warm one will. I don't see a need to sweat, cause after i pickle my hide gets mounted before it dries, sweating is just to let the hide soften or in some instances - stretch.

call Van Dykes...

This response submitted by terryr on 02/23/2004 at 17:06. ( ) 63.85.32.77

instructions came with my kit - they can email instructions

Return to Tanning Category Menu